Re: Burnsides

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
      The Burnside list is about as dead although I do see several of my old posts :O)

    • AdSpecMike@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
        Gordon:
        You may be looking for the WWW.FAMILYSEARCH.ORG
        The second item on the menu is SEARCH RECORDS. One of the selections is "Record Search Pilot". This takes you to the search for Births, Christening, Marriages and Deaths. I put the name Crooks in the Last Name only and it show 3,356 results.

        Mike Robinson

        Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:21 AM
        Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Burnsides

      • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
           when in Edinburgh some years ago I looked into the local telephone book and there were pages and pages of Crooks, I closed the book up - end of search. Then you have my settler with 3 children, those 3 children had a combined 21 children and the next generation was even worse. However all was not lost because of a family bible started here in 1741, it is first son to first son. I am the 8th in the direct line and I know everything there is to know about each one of the seven before me because they are the only ones I have researched in great detail. I do know some distant cousins both living and dead, but that's the extent of it and I am happy with it. My family research has long been finished, so I mainly help others and also study history of many things which interest me.

                                                                                     Gordon

          Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:21 AM

        • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
            In all the years I have been involved in genealogy (over 10) I can't even remember ever getting a reply from any of those L lists. I do belong to several County or other specific lists and they are much more active.

            Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:42 AM

            The Burnside list is about as dead although I do see several of my old posts :O)

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks@..." <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

            > Some of these L lists come and go, for example the Crooks-L is is as dead as door nails and has been for years. So its alway good to check around and see what other lists might be available.
            >
            > Gordon

          • RA in IA
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
              Those L-lists were very helpful (and active) before so many searchable databases were available--and before Ancestry.com took over Rootsweb.  I think many of us just go straight to the databases now and don't rely so much on others to give us their information.  At least until we hit that proverbial brick wall!

              Ruth Ann

              Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:42 AM

            • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
                Ruth Ann: Yes I tend to agree with you, hadn't given much thought to it before, but I find myself doing the same thing these days.

                Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:42 AM

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 18, 2010
                  I agree!! Linda