I need help with church records.

  • pagenie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 10:30 AM
      Hello Listers,

      I have read, with interest, the discussion concerning church records.

      I am a visual learner with a learning disability so need a diagram to help me sort out dates.

      Could someone create or steer me toward a time line to help me know where I am most likely to find my ancestor's church records at different periods of time? Example: 1840 - Where could I find Presbyterian or Catholic records? Would they be listed under Church of Ireland, Presbyterian (at Historical Society or individual congregation?), or Vital Records? What, historically, was impacting the recording of records at that particular time could be included.

      This method would be a great help to me in my research. I am very ineffective if I have to wade through a lot of text.

      Thank you in advance, Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31 11:44 AM
        Carol,

        This is a great idea! Many of us could use such a tool. Maybe Liam knows of such a sige.

        Linda

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "pagenie" <pagenie_51@...> wrote:

        > Hello Listers,
        >
        > I have read, with interest, the discussion concerning church records.
        >
        > I am a visual learner with a learning disability so need a diagram to help me sort out dates.
        >
        > Could someone create or steer me toward a time line to help me know where I am most likely to find my ancestor's church records at different periods of time? Example: 1840 - Where could I find Presbyterian or Catholic records? Would they be listed under Church of Ireland, Presbyterian (at Historical Society or individual congregation?), or Vital Records? What, historically, was impacting the recording of records at that particular time could be included.
        >
        > This method would be a great help to me in my research. I am very ineffective if I have to wade through a lot of text.
        >
        > Thank you in advance, Carol

      • L.G. McF
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31 2:42 PM
          Hi Linda & all interested,

          My remarks were mainly over the period that was coved by the Penal Laws.  These were repealed or no-longer enforced starting early 1800's.

          The General Register Office website is http://www.groni.gov.uk/
          The General Register Office only retains life events of birth, death, marriage and adoptions. No personal details except these are held.
          The main records held are the statutory registers of births, deaths, marriages, still births and adoptions.
          Registration of all births, death and marriages began in 1864 and any events occurring before this (with the exception of Non-Roman Catholic marriages from 1845) would not have been registered with them.
          The General Register Office does not have records of wills.
          GRO does not have records of divorces.  You may need to contact the Royal Courts of Justice, Chichester Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 3FJ.

          The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland stores wills between the 1854 and 1993.
          After this period they can be obtained from the Royal Courts of Justice, Chichester Street, Belfast, BT1 3JF.
          The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland holds records before 1864 such as the tithe applotment records, valuation records and church records.

          Public Records Office of Northern Ireland website is http://www.proni.gov.uk/

          The Roman Catholic records can be found at the PRONI but they do not seem to have them all.

          If you know the religion of the people you are researching then you will find a maintainer of those records be they Church of Ireland, Presbyterian or Methodist or another.

          A Goggle search will supply you with addresses and websites.

          If you want to search for anybody before 1864 or any marriages but Non-Roman Catholic marriages before 1845 then it becomes a lottery.

          By reading the changes to the Penal Laws over 200 years you will get an idea when people were free to marry, baptise and be buried in whatever church they wished.

          There is no list or site that I know of.

          You will all have met the brickwall in researching record, some around 1864 and some around 1830. They depends on the religion and the restrictions of the Penal Laws.
          Roman Catholic's could not own land so there is no sense in researching land records.

          Knowing the history gives a good idea of what is obtainable. If they had a business, land etc. then you will find more about them. If they were poor then the Court records, hangings, transportation will be the best bet.

          The reason that this is short is that I am preparing for a week in Ballygally, N. Ireland as I have a wedding and a few other family commitments. I will not be doing any research except I hope to visit a disused Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Graveyard in Raloo which contains a World War 1 headstone.

          greetings

          Liam

          On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Linda Holley <ljholley@...> wrote:

          Carol,

          This is a great idea! Many of us could use such a tool. Maybe Liam knows of such a sige.

          Linda

          --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "pagenie" <pagenie_51@...> wrote:

          > Hello Listers,
          >
          > I have read, with interest, the discussion concerning church records.
          >
          > I am a visual learner with a learning disability so need a diagram to help me sort out dates.
          >
          > Could someone create or steer me toward a time line to help me know where I am most likely to find my ancestor's church records at different periods of time? Example: 1840 - Where could I find Presbyterian or Catholic records? Would they be listed under Church of Ireland, Presbyterian (at Historical Society or individual congregation?), or Vital Records? What, historically, was impacting the recording of records at that particular time could be included.
          >
          > This method would be a great help to me in my research. I am very ineffective if I have to wade through a lot of text.
          >
          > Thank you in advance, Carol

        • L.G. McF
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
            Hello one all,

            These couple of links are about The Republic of Ireland but do give a little insight into the record problem of the past.

            http://www.cigo.ie/campaigns_church.html

            http://www.cigo.ie/eig2.html

            http://www.cigo.ie/

            greetings