Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Fw: Culbertson's

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2010
      Sadly, I did not find any of my Culbertson names but then I only have two to work with.  Andrew and his wife America (maiden name unknown).  I wish some of my family had been well known or wealthy then I might be able to find a few of beyond 1800 - I'll just keep on plowing :O)

      On Feb 28, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Gordon Crooks@... wrote:

      Hey Liam: You lied, only took me 15 minutes to go thru the Culbertson line and saw the necessary match ups. What I had forgotten was the Boyd connection, they were also a prominent early family, a lot of them are buried at Rocky Springs Church, but they are also to be found at Fayetteville Convenanter Cemetery which is about 10 miles from Rock Springs. There are a lot more Culbertson's what you saent was only the Boyd connection line - would you care to continue your search for me so I don't strain my brain too much ????

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Gordon,

        One question and it is highlighted below in red.

        Colin.

        Linda: I am not a Culbertson expert, I know of them for variouse reason, 1  a friend is related to them, 2 Capt Alexander Culbertson is famous for hie French & Indian War fighting in which he lost his left. Lost his left what???? I know there is a Culbertson book and written by one, however I have never seen it and don't know nyone who does have a copy. I do however have all of the S A R Culbertson's and will look up that info and send it to you, also I will ask a friend if she knows anything.

      • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
          Colin: You would think with the crappy eye sight that I have, that I would use spell check more often, however I also have another defect, its called impatience !! Proof reading is not my forte. In answer to your question he lost his life.

          Capt. Alexander Culbertson was a officer in the Pennsylvania Militia during the French & Indian Wars. In this case a group of Ohio Indians raided a frontier settlement and took all of the women and children as captives and killed what few men were around (they were mainly off in the fields of their farms working at the time). Capt. Culbertson raised his militia force and went after then and in due course caught up with them and killed most of the Indians and freed the captives, during the battle Capt. Culbertson was killed. He is buried at Roicky Springs Presbyterian Church, which today is a D A R shrine, services are held just once a year in it. Ahem yes I used spell check for this !

          Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
            Gordon,

            Many thanks for the update, I was just curious to know what part/parts he lost.

            I quite enjoy reading your posts, I find them very informative and interesting.

            I also suffer from bad eyesight and re-read my posts before sending but I still make a dogs breakfast of it some times.{;-)

            Regards,

            Colin.

            Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
              Colin: A'int any fun getting old is it !!! Had cataract surgery some months ago and my eye sight is worse all for the price of 4 thousand some dollars.

              For those who might be interested I have just come from meeting this George Culbertson and a friend of mine has both Culbertson books so we are going to trace his line back to Ireland for him.

              Liam & others who might have read or supplied me with info on  the Culbertson's. I had forgotten about the Boyd"s who were a early settler family and inter-married with everyone except Old King George and my Crooks family. The Boyd's were as large a family group as the Culbertson's and I have found their graves in the old Convenanter Cemetery in Fayettesville which is about 8 miles as the crow flies from Rock Springs Cemetery.

              Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                What an incredible story about the mower!

                I have spent all morning trying to find additional info about Andrew Culbertson - didn't find anything before his death which was in 1876 but have found quite a few newspaper articles on The Newspaper Archives concerning his descendants - lots still in Lawrence Co.  Hoping to find one that is still alive that may know more about the family.  I guess my only hope would be that there would be a mention in one of your books, Gordon, that reports some of the Culbertson moved west to Lawrence Co. - guess it would have been Beaver early on.  Also would be interested in where you find the family in N.I.

                Thank you for any help.

                Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Gordon,

                  So far, I have not needed cataract surgery, just stronger lens in my glasses. A mate of mine had cataract surgery last year and his eyesight is now worse than it was pre surgery! Can't remember what it cost him, it was not cheap!
                  I like your story about the mule and mower, I will pass that on to friend who will appreciate it. Mules are not and never were easy animals to deal with!

                  Colin.

                  Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010

                    Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 AM