Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] A lot of confusion exists around the subject of cousins.

  • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
      I am modest and will accept 41/2 stars !!!!!!!! Got to go out very soon and spend several thousand dollars for new equipment in some of my rental units - as a result being a Ulsterscot I will be sick the rest of the week over spending this money !

      Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] A lot of confusion exists around the subject of cousins.

      I would be jealous if you were not such a great guy and always willing to share your info and advice!!  Five gold stars to you!!!

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
        Yes I assumed you were talking about Alexander as a surname
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
          Hi Linda,

          There certainly are Alexanders buried around Ballymena - Clough for sure.  My cousin Georgina is married to an Alexander.  They live on the farm that was the Alexander farm for generations.

          Anne

          It has come to my mind that he might have been named after a women's maiden name.  Will rumble around on the Braid site and see if I can find any Alexanders buried near Ballymena.

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009

              It disheartens me too. The burnsides are a complete enignma. Ive started researching them in scotland. thanks to gordon's detailed history I consider it a possibility that they originated in scotland and "emigrated" to antrim. Quite a few were Burnsides were covenanters from Ayrshire and their names appear on the Convenant. It seems that after losing their farms here they may have been enticed to farmlands in Ballymena area. Im keeping my eyes peeled for your lot as i go along

              Alison

              --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy @yahoogroups. com, Linda Holley <ljholley@.. .> wrote:

              > Gordon,
              >
              > Every time you send one of these messages where you say how far back
              > you can go on your tree it makes me cry that there is no Burnside in
              > there somewhere :O) Maybe I will get lucky, someday.
              >
              > On Nov 11, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Gordon Crooks@... wrote:
              >

              > > Linda & Liam: Actually I have always used "once removed" and since I
              > > have always been a direct line researcher for my family great-
              > > grandparent off spring are not something that I follow. While I
              > > have found a great many cousins etc over the years, its been
              > > accidental and I don't include them in my tree. Example my
              > > Crunkleton line tree is 170 pages long and I have mention of just
              > > one of them in my tree - my 5th removed grandmother.
              > >
              > > I was originally influenced by the family bible which goes back to
              > > 1741, it is direct line and was handed down from first son to first
              > > son. Also I am Colby related and their main tree goes back to the
              > > early 1500's and there are thousands of names in it. However my tree
              > > ONLY covers from Anthony & Susannah Colby from 1590 to present in a
              > > direct line and covers maybe 10 pages which is not too bad.
              > >
              > > Gordon

            • Anne Klintworth
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
                As far as I know they don't have email anymore.  Their computer died and I don't think they ever did anything about it.  I will see her in March though.  I know that Brian Alexander's brother David is very much interested in genealogy so he might be a good source to find out if there is a Burnside in the family.

                I will ask Georgina's sister if David has email.

                Interesting!  Do you think you might be able to ask your cousin if she knows of any Alexanders marrying Burnsides?

                Thanks!!

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
                  But just think - you might be able to raise the rent!

                  Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:36 AM

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
                        Wonderful!  Thank you so much!

                      • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
                          Well after today I just might shoot people. I got a bill for a late season rental group for $77.00 from my electrican for changing burned out light bulbs. I blew my stack and just finished reaming the vice pres ass at my rent agents for this and told him I was going to pay it and then shove it up his you know what.

                          Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:36 AM

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 12, 2009
                            Don't you wonder!!

                            Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:36 AM

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 13, 2009

                              Confusion here too! I was referring to the history of scotland, the covenanters and clearances lol ie how the families came to be in ireland in the first place. Although, in saying that, your tree is so comprehensive, I wouldnt be surprised if you're connected to every member on here. Dont know if you have heard the scots saying "We're all Jock Tamson's bairns" meaning if you research far enough back in time we are all from same family (presumably adam and eve being the original parents).

                              Alison

                            • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 13, 2009
                                Alison: Yes I agree with you genealogy is only a small part of the whole scheme, history is a major contributor along with living conditions etc. Life back then was very brutal and people yearned for a better life. I have a copy of Thomas Raven's letter to Sir Thomas Phillips who at the time was the head of the London Companies in London England. Mr. Raven who was the surveyor and builder of the original Londonderry Plantation . In the June 1621 letter Mr. Raven matter of factly advised that he had extended the original plat of the plantation from 18,000 acres to 22,000 acres because it was good additional land and that he had driven off the local inhabitants with force.
                                My personel belief that life in that plantation once established was that great for whatever reasons as I know my Crooks left there and went in to Antrim County and 48 years late there were 5 Crooks families there. I have seem this migration away from Londonderry Plantation in other families too.The Scots wern't the only ones looking for a better life, look at the mass migrations of the Palanite Germans fleeing the after effects of the 100 years wars