Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] McCullough

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2009
      Gordon,

      Your query brought to my mind about the land my gggg grandfather and his two sons bought when they arrived in PA.  Do you think there might be some record in Antrim about them selling land before they left?  My ggg grandfather was paying as much as 16,000 in the 1840's for property in Pittsburgh.  No mortgages were involved.

      Linda

      On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Gordon Crooks@... <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

      Liam I could use a little help here amd trying to trace backwards into  James McCullough who was probabl;y born around 1725 BUT WHERE. One souce say Londonderry Co. another says Down Co.What I have is that he was both a flax grower & waever and in 1745 he left Belfast to Pennsylvania with his new wife Martha (supposely married by the captin of the ship). He is known to have cash as he purchased property here and paid cash for it, later he moved further into the interior and purchased a fair size farm paying cash again. In due course he became the R.E. for Mercersburg Presbyterian Church in Mercersburgh, Pennsylvania. looking at the 1741 list of R.E. from the Londonderry Presbytery records does not indicare any McCullough R.E. from either Down or Derry (looking for his probable father. Any help or suggestions?
       This mucklehead just like mine and many others kept a dairy or bible record, but recorded nothing about his past or relatives.

    • Gordon Crooks@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2009
        Sure there would be court recirds of the transaction and probably tax records too.At that late date you shouldn't have any trouble with recorsds - only with finding them and gaining access to them.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2009
          Hi Gordon,

          The Linenhall in Belfast would be your best bet for research. A flax grower and a weaver could mean a lot of things. He did it himself, the growing and weaving which I doubt. He might have had a scrunching Mill etc. for making thread from the Flax. Preparing Flax for scrunching is a dirty, stinking, up to your knees in water, type job. The Flax has to rot in water and it stinks. I think to make money you would pay labours to grow your Flax, on your land and to have the cloth woven by cottage weavers. Then you might a Bleach Green to turn your brown linen white. If this last is true he might have advertised in the News Letter. He was Presbyterian which should help.
          Nothing else comes to mind.

          greetings

          Liam

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2009
            I have info in PA - I just wondered if I could find records in Co. Antrim of the Burnsides selling land before they left.  I have checked for wills to see if they inherited the money but didn't find anything.  Always a possibility that the person leaving them money was in Scotland or an in law with a surname I do not know.