Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Burial Registers - Ballymena Council

  • John Waugh
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13 1:20 PM

      Gordon the Presbyterian Historical Society is not closed down due to Financial Problems.  Only the Library is closed at the moment, they are working on the Church House building were the Library is. I think you are getting mixed up with the Presbyterian Mutual Society which is in Financial Problems.

      John

      Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 12:08 PM
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 13 1:58 PM
        Shirlee:
        There is a site you may want to visit. It is"History from Headstones" at www.historyfromheadstones.com. They have free and paid searches. I checked the free search and found a Margaret Dale who erected a head stone for her 2 sons, James and Thomas also 3 grand children. From the dates it may be your Margaret. The graveyard was the Cairncastle CI and located in Ballygalley. The paid site search shows an additional 7 Dales buried in the same graveyard as well as about 9 other Dale listings.
        Hope this helps,
        Mike Robinson

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 13 3:42 PM
          John,

          Thank you for this message.  I was worrying I was going to be unable to look up records for Gordon and myself the next time I am in Belfast.  I also thought the closing was probably due to the Mutual Society problems.

          Linda

          Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 12:08 PM

        • tcantwell@xtra.co.nz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 13 3:49 PM
            Thanks Anne. Do you have an address for the 1st Broughshane Presbyterian Church.

            I have also thoroughly searched the History of Headstones site. The names of Margaret Dale's children were: Ferguson, John, Elizabeth, Samuel and Eleanor (Ellen). Ferguson immigrated to Australia; John - haven't been able to find him; Elizabeth married James Houston of Gilgad; Samuel and Ellen remained unmarried and are buried together at the 1st Broughshane Cemetery with a headstone.

            Thank you for all the responses.

            Shirlee Cantwell (Dale)
            Wellington
            New Zealand

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Anne Klintworth <ashierk@...> wrote:

            > The Ballymena Borough Council no longer has the books.  They are at the Braid and not available to the public at the moment.
            >
            > However - it is important to remember - they only have records of burial for a very few places - mostly just grave registries.  And only for the cemeteries that the Borough Council took over.  The churches in Broughshane are not held there.  If there are burial registers they would be at the churches.  Unfortunately, it has been my experience that many times the records are lost, burned, never kept or whatever.
            >
            > But it would be worth your while to contact the church directly.  Whether or not they will answer is another story.
            >
            > I can tell you that she is not listed in the burials at Clough cemetery.
            >
            > My guess would be she is at 1st Broughshane and there is no stone.  So the church is the best bet I think.
            >
            > Anne

          • Gordon Crooks
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13 5:26 PM

              Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 12:08 PM