Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Digest Number 95

  • Gordon Crooks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      No I actually think it started here. Remember in the early years all of the Pastors were summoned from Scotland and/or Ireland and were Presbyterian Convenanters for the most part. However the settlers experienced a freedom they had never known before, initially they self ruled themselves as Convenanters since government as we know it was far away. In the case of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia was 100 or more miles away a great distance at that period of time. My own family is an example of this, my settler John Crooks held bible readings at his home every Sunday and he remained a Convenanter till his death. In due course he helped establish the first actual church in Greencastle, Pa. His second son my 6th removed grandfather was one of the original trustees and founding member of the Associate reformed Church (Seceders). So in just one generation you have a split of views on both religion and government. This generation supported the firm establishment of local goverment and two children of this generation (1st totally American born) were in both the County Government and the State Government and it was this generation which ended the schism in 1825, they also started to inter-marry with others such as the Germans who were not Presbyterians.

      This leads to another bit of history. The Convenanters were pretty quick to establish their churches or at least their meeting "tents". The Germans settlers were more practical minded and were slow in establishing their churches and building them because they wanted to get their farms well  established. I know for a fact that my settlers German neighbors came to his house on Sunday for bible readings. Some years ago I found additional evidence of this. The UCC (United Church of Christ) which is in the brethren group of German religions of Greencastle, Pa. has many references in their official history to their being "German Presbyterians"

      The settlers did achieve a better life and so prospered, you only need to read their wills to see who much wealth they accumilated from scratch.

                                                                                      Gordon Crooks

> [...]

        07:50:00

        size=2 width="100%" align=center>

        2b.

        Re: Ballymena ReligiousCensus

        Posted by: "Linda Holley" ljholley@gmail. com   ljholley

        Sat May 30, 2009 4:51 pm (PDT)

        I think PRONI has all the Dissenter lists - except for Ahoghill. Does
        someone know this to be a fact?

        Thanks so much,

        Linda
        On May 30, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Bob & Wendy Stevenson wrote:

        > Thank you Frank
        > (actually our Stevensons came to southern Ontario with 6 other
        > families, one of them was Kernohan!)
        > So..my next question would be, does anyone have a list of the
        > dissenters and Parish families for the Religious Census of 1766 for
        > Ballymena??
        > My Stevensons were in Donaghadee in late 1700's, but I don't know

        Check out the
        Stay up to speed
        on all things Groups!
        Yahoo! Groups
        Discover doing more
        for your family
        Yahoo! Groups
        Join others who
        are losing pounds.
        Need to Reply?
        Messages | Links | Database |

> [...]

          07:50:00

          size=2 width="100%" align=center>

          2b.

          Re: Ballymena ReligiousCensus

          Posted by: "Linda Holley" ljholley@gmail. com   ljholley

          Sat May 30, 2009 4:51 pm (PDT)

          I think PRONI has all the Dissenter lists - except for Ahoghill. Does
          someone know this to be a fact?

          Thanks so much,

          Linda
          On May 30, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Bob & Wendy Stevenson wrote:

          > Thank you Frank
          > (actually our Stevensons came to southern Ontario with 6 other
          > families, one of them was Kernohan!)
          > So..my next question would be, does anyone have a list of the
          > dissenters and Parish families for the Religious Census of 1766 for
          > Ballymena??
          > My Stevensons were in Donaghadee in late 1700's, but I don't know

        • L.G. McF
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            Hi Linda,

            Most interesting subject, the splitting of the Presbyterian Religion
            into different Churches.

            Presbyterianism refers to a number of different Christian churches
            adhering to the Calvinist theological tradition within Protestantism.
            Presbyterian theology typically emphasizes the sovereignty of God, the
            authority of the Bible and the necessity of grace through faith in
            Christ.

            Presbyterianism evolved primarily in Scotland before the Act of Union
            in 1707. Most of the few Presbyteries found in England can trace a
            Scottish connection. Although some adherents hold to the theology of
            Calvin and his immediate successors, there are a range of theological
            views within contemporary Presbyterianism.

            Ireland

            Presbyterianism is the second largest Protestant denomination in the
            island of Ireland (after the Anglican Church of Ireland), and was
            brought by Scottish plantation settlers to Ulster who had been
            strongly encouraged to emigrate by James VI of Scotland, later James I
            of England. An estimated 100,000 Scottish Presbyterians moved to the
            northern counties of Ireland between 1607 and the Battle of the Boyne
            in 1690. The Presbytery of Ulster was formed in 1642 separately from
            the established Anglican Church. Presbyterians, along with Roman
            Catholics in Ulster and the rest of Ireland, suffered under the
            discriminatory Penal Laws until they were revoked in the early 19th
            century.

            Presbyterianism is represented in Ireland by the Presbyterian Church
            in Ireland, the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, the
            Non-subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland, the Reformed
            Presbyterian Church of Ireland and the Evangelical Presbyterian
            Church.

            The eighteenth century saw significant tensions within the Synod of
            Ulster, which was divided between the Old Lights and the New Lights.
            The Old Lights were conservative Calvinists who believed that
            ministers and ordinands should subscribe to the Westminster Confession
            of Faith. The New Lights were more liberal and were unhappy with the
            Westminster Confession and did not require ministers to subscribe to
            it. The New lights dominated the Synod of Ulster during the eighteenth
            century, allowing the more conservative Scottish Presbyterian
            dissenters, Seceders and Covenanters to establish a strong presence in
            Ulster.[5]

            In the nineteenth century, a belief that some of those who did not
            subscribe to the Westminster Confession were in fact Arian provoked a
            new phase of the conflict. This ended when seventeen ministers opposed
            to subscription seceded with their congregations to form the
            Remonstrant Synod. This led to the restoration of obligatory
            subscription to the Westminster Confession within the Synod of Ulster
            and facilitated union with the Seceders in 1840 to create the General
            Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.

            The Non-subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland derives its name
            and its liberal and tolerant identity from early eighteenth century
            Presbyterian ministers refusing to subscribe to, or sign, the
            Westminster Confession, a standard Reformed (Calvinist) statement of
            faith, at their ordination, forming in 1725 their Presbytery of
            Antrim. A similar phenomenon led to the 1830 creation of the
            Remonstrant Synod of Ulster. The two bodies created the
            Non-subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland (NSPCI) in 1910.

            bits copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian#Ireland

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
              How interesting and much more complicated than I thought!  Going to print this and keep it.  Wondering now what my Burnsides in PA believed.  Must read the church histories for that area.

              Thank you, Liam

              Linda