6594Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] RE: McMullen or McMullan, Herbison, and Orr of County Antrim

  • Amy Lewark
    Oct 9, 2013
      Oops, I mean that there weren't any McMullens around there... that's what I found in my cursory search. :)

      The closest one I had found was in Lisnamanny townland, but I was searching for an Alexander with a son John (to go with the naming convention, since Alexander was the oldest of the McMullen children in the US). I don't recall that one being a stone mason, however.

      Amy

      On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Amy Lewark <amy.lewark@...> wrote:
      Yes, that is what I also found when I did my cursory search a while back.

      If I am understanding correctly, from what I am being told regarding my father's closest Y-DNA matches, his McMullens (sp?) were in Counties Down and Meath originally, maybe even as far south as Cork. I am not sure what the time line is, or what caused them to move yet.

      Thank you again!

      Amy

      On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM, <mjumpherson@...> wrote:

      Hi Amy:

      According to Griffiths Revalutaion Books, in the Townland of Moylarg which is only 2 or 3 miles (approx.) northwest of Laymore, there is a Wm. McMullen taking over a property (house, offices and land) owned by Wm. J. Paul in 1868. Map references 4a and 5.  Continuing to parcels/map references 7 and 8 we see Wm. McMullen taking over land from a James Paul in the same year. Parcel 6d records a James Herbison with a house and next to him on 7a is a Jane Paul in another house.

      In the Townland of Fenagh (between Moylarg and almost adjacent to Laymore) is a James Herbison, Moses Paul and numerous other Pauls.

      And as Elwyn mentioned, numerous Herbisons in Laymore but no Pauls or McMullens.

      Michael

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

      Amy,
      Leymore (sometimes spelled Laymore) is fairly small (365 acres) with just 160 people living there in the 1901 census, in a total of about 31 houses, 4 of which were Herbison households. So if you know Mary Herbison came from Leymore, then there can’t be much doubt that she is related to the people in Griffiths etc.

      I did say that Adam Herbison’s absence from Griffiths in 1862 would suggest he had died. That’s generally true. Farmers rarely retired and so normally remained head of household till their death. However I did notice an Adam Herbison death registered in Ballymena in 1867 (Volume 16, page 77). Est year of birth 1790. It’s just possible that’s him. Death registration only started in Ireland in 1864, so if Mary’s father did die before that we won’t find a death cert, and this might just be a cousin or a coincidence. But I thought I’d mention it, in case you want to investigate.

      You can order a photocopy from GRO Roscommon for €4 per certificate. Put the place, year, quarter (where there is one), volume & page number on the application form (anywhere). http://www.groireland.ie/ You have to post or fax the form to them but they will e-mail the copy certificate to you if you wish. Put “please e-mail to…..” clearly on the top of the form.

      Elwyn