6589RE: Index to Deputy Keeper of Public Records Dublin

  • gramatwil
    Oct 7, 2013

      Amy:

      James Paul emigrated to the US in 1847 according to the 1900 census. He was the son of John Paul and Margaret Buick from Tullygrawley.  See this link for more details and a contact address for Kathy McIlrath Brown who would be delighted to help yous ort this out:

       http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=65520737

      Have you seen this old Rootsweb message regarding Harbisons of Laymore?

      http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HARBISON/2000-12/0978239951

      Michael

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <amy.lewark@...> wrote:

      Interesting... certainly seems possible.

      Do you know what year the other Pauls went to Nebraska? The McMullens went there in 1883, ostensibly to work on the new railroad that was going in south of Lincoln in Beatrice (about an hour from Wahoo, the Saunders County Seat). Maybe they got a lead on work opportunity from family members?

      Amy

      On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM, <mjumpherson@...> wrote:

      And many of the Ahoghill Pauls emigrated to Iowa and Saunders Co. Nebraska. Could Jane Herbison be a daughter of Moses Paul and Charity (Chilly) Gordon?

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <mjumpherson@...> wrote:

      Amy:

      So its stands to reason that Jane Paul-Herbison's father was a Moses Paul (????)

      I have studied 2 groups of Pauls in the Ballymena area: the Ahoghill or Craigs parish Pauls to the northwest and the Skerry parish near Broughshane Pauls to the northeast.  My Pauls were from Skerry/Glenravel, ie. the Townlands of Lisbreen, Elginny, Legnagooley, Knockanully. Moses Paul emigrated to Ontario, Canada in 1847. He went back to N. Ireland and returned in 1852 with his brother John I. Paul and family and their elderly father whom I believe was another John Paul.

      Moses Paul's son John Brown Paul was baptized in 1838 at First Broughshane Presbyterian and married (here in Canada) Annie McMullen  (or Mullen) also from Ireland.

      Somewhere in my notes I have seen the name Herbison, as well.

      Maybe we have some distant connection?

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <amy.lewark@...> wrote:

      Just poking my head in here to say that Adam McMullen (the Governor of Nebraska) had a younger brother named Moses Paul McMullen (b 1876 Wellsville, New York). In the earliest US census record (1800) he was listed as Moses P McMullen, and then later he went by Paul.

      As I mentioned in the other thread on the McMullens, his mother was Mary Herbison, who married John H McMullen in Ahoghill in 1854. Mary Herbison's parents were Jane Paul and Adam Herbison.

      Perhaps I should be looking for families with Jane and Moses, then! I didn't understand the significance of his name until this thread came along, so thank you!

      Amy

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <mjumpherson@...> wrote:

      Great information and explanation, Elwyn. I dont think these 2 marriages pertain to my family as I just found reference to a Moses aka John alis Montgomery Paul, bachelor who died in 1864 in California leaving his estate to his sister Mary Paul, wife of Hutchinson Chadwick of Blackrock, County DUBLIN, Ireland. So this alone is evidence of another Moses Paul in Co. Dublin. You are right- it really does not make sense that Presbyterian Ulster Scot Pauls from Co. Antrim would have to travel 100+ miles to Dublin to get permission to marry outside of their faith. Just not realistic. It's a process of elimination- and I just eliminated it.

      And the Canadian Pauls were Presbyterian and Ulster Scots as well, Gordon.  But the last part of the email address you sent is blocked. Maybe you or Linda can send it to me, personally, if you can see my email address?  Thanks.

      Michael