6585RE: RE: McMullen or McMullan, Herbison, and Orr of County Antrim

  • gas_menace
    Oct 7, 2013

      Hi Amy

      There are any number of Herbison, McMullan and Paul farming families in the town lands in and around the Ahoghill area. My GG aunt Eliza Rodgers of Tullygrawley married an Adam Herbison from Carnlea at Killymurris Presbyterian and they later (in 1890) emigrated to the US, finishing up in Illinois. as did several of their children. Of course, he's not "your" Adam, as his father was Peter Herbison, but he will almost certainly be related.

      I find http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx is a great way of sorting them out using every possible spelling, - sometimes there are even different spellings on the same grave stone.

      Other Ballymena area marriages of McMullans or McMullens with father's name "Patrick" that I can find are:

      Nov 2 1848 Patrick McMullan to Ellen Mallahan in Balymena Registrar's Office

      Jan 5 1849 Alexander McMullan to Elizabeth McMullan in Mallymena First Presbyterian

      Hope this helps

      ---In mid-antrimgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <amy.lewark@...> wrote:

      Thank you, Elwyn.

      Here is my transcription, and the attached record, courtesy of Tom McMillan's search:

      Marriage solemnized at _McG?i?l Church_ in the _Parish_ of _Ahoghill_ in the _Co Antrim_

      John McMullen (20 - Bachelor) and Mary Herbison (21 - Spinster)
      Rank or Profession: Laborer
      Residence: Laymore
      Father's name and surname: Patrick McMullen (Stone Mason) and Adam Herbison (Farmer)

      Married in the _Parish Church_ according to the rites and ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland
      by ???
      William Tyrrell Rector

      in the presence of us _Hugh O Graham_ _Matthew Herbison_

      (Looks like it says "her mark" around Hugh O Graham?)

      Thank you,

      On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Elwyn Soutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:
      If you have the 1854 marriage certificate, what were John & Mary’s townlands (addresses) on that certificate? What was John’s occupation and what were the 2 father’s occupations? What church did they marry at in Ahoghill?
      The names Herbison and McMullen are both quite common in the Ballymena area. If I know which townland they came from I may be able to narrow the search
      There are several Adam Herbison and numerous McMullen/an deaths on the Braid site, but as I say I’d need the townland and occupations to try and see if any may be your family. (Farmers would generally be wealthy enough to have a gravestone, agricultural labouers/weavers would not).