Re: [Microscope] Good & Cheap opt. microscope - any ideas ?

  • sysop sysop
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
      I'm the proud owner of a intelplay microscope:
      originally it was intended for childern. easy to use
      and very cheap : it cost here (in the netherland)
      60 euro. I take the microscoop with me in the field,
      and make the most beatiful photo's from living animals
      in ponds ans marshes. greetings Frank

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • WillEverettJr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
        A word to the wise..."Good microscopes are not cheap. Cheap microscopes are
        not good." I've searched high and low and the best prices are usually at
        "Labessentials.com". Take a look at that website. Have fun!!

        WLEjr

      • julius3@supereva.it
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
          >A word to the wise..."Good microscopes are not cheap. Cheap microscopes are
          >not good." I've searched high and low and the best prices are usually at
          >"Labessentials.com". Take a look at that website. Have fun!!
          >
          >WLEjr

          I agree with the first statment, but Ebay is always the best source. It is important to achieve a good information on microscopes, enough to understand the points of attention, that are not only in optics, but also in mechanics. See www.microscopyu.fsu.edu. Then, you can fix a model and search in Ebay at a right price, having in your hands the good queries for the seller. I bought in Ebay all my best scopes and accessories. My last three research scopes (Wild and Reichert) are quite good and they did not go over $750 at maximum. If you want a good basic model with bright field capabilities and achro lenses, you will achieve it for no more than $300.
          Be patience. Pellegrino

          Incontri: amicizie, relazioni, trasgressione
          http://incontri.supereva.it/cgi-bin/index.chm?partner=904

          messaggio inviato con Freemail by www.superEva.it
        • microscopy@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
            Be careful with eBay. It's the basement of a marketplace. Sometimes
            you can find a jewel and sometimes you get a lemon. You have to be
            careful when shopping on eBay.

            There are currently two Leitz Ortholux scopes listed. One seems to be
            ok and could sell for $800. At least for the Ortholux you can more
            easily find the parts than for many other great but older scopes
            (such as Wild).

            I bought my Ortholux (complete) for $536 on eBay. It works fine. The
            resolution is good. And, I was lucky to get a decent one that cheap.
            Even paying $750 does not guarantee a nicely working scope. - eBay is
            great for the experienced microscopist. It is not too great for
            someone who buys his first scope.

            Gregor

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
              I agree on this Ebay risk (all life is a risk..) and I have suggested to get information before buying any scope. The best investment (is it correct in english?..) for a newbye is in microscopy books, but, with a planned study on internet, anyone may get, in few weeks, the same informations that I collected in 30 years. On this theoretical base, I think that it is possible to understand what is good and what is poor: indeed, only when the scope is in our hands, we can affirm to have done a right business, and this is true for both experts and beginners. If you want be sure, buy a new Leica, Zeiss, Olympus or Nikon...it is only a money problem.
              On the other hand, the first scope cannot be payed thousands of dollars! Microscopy is a long way, and we learn also thru errors: an error of $300 is not so hard..
              See you Pellegrino

              Incontri: amicizie, relazioni, trasgressione
              http://incontri.supereva.it/cgi-bin/index.chm?partner=904

              messaggio inviato con Freemail by www.superEva.it
            • Robert Brewer
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                As you can see from the responses to your e-mail, picking the "right" microscope is not an easy thing. Pelligrino has the right idea that a $300.00 mistake is not all that bad.
                My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you are better off with a good used scope from Zeiss, Leitz(Leica), Nikon or Olympus. Buying from a dealer can be expensive and buying on EBay can be sometimes good and sometimes bad.
                I see some people talk about getting Wild(I assume the M20) or Reichert Zetopan microscopes on EBay. They are GREAT microscopes, but they have both bee discontinued for many years and Leica does not supply replacement parts for them anymore. I should add that for the Wild Stereomicroscopes, there is no problem for repair parts and depending on the vintage, accessories may be available.
                Most of us have our own opinions of what is good and what is bad. Our opinions a generally based on good or bad experiences. I hope all of yours are good.

                Bob Brewer

                pta_nm <pta_nm@...> wrote:
                Hello everybody,
                I'm a newcomer here.
                I'm looking for a cheap & good quality microscope with digital
                camera or with possibility to install it. Has anybody tried
                something like Micromaster ? (made by Westover Sci., distributed by
                Fisher Sci.)
                Any other ideas ?
                I'll be very glad to hear your opinions.

                Regards.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Lee Jones
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                  For $300 you can get a really nice AO Spencer model 10 with a trinocular
                  port. These scopes are way underrated and are in fact quite excellent.

                  Lee

                  pta_nm <pta_nm@...> wrote:
                  Hello everybody,
                  I'm a newcomer here.
                  I'm looking for a cheap & good quality microscope with digital
                  camera or with possibility to install it. Has anybody tried
                  something like Micromaster ? (made by Westover Sci., distributed by
                  Fisher Sci.)
                  Any other ideas ?
                  I'll be very glad to hear your opinions.

                  Regards.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  ---

                • Robert Brewer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Lee is correct. If you can get and AO Series 10 with a Trinoc for 300.00, get it.
                    It is a good, easy to use, basic microscope to start with. Make sure that is is a Series 10 and not a Series 2 or 4, they are nowhere near as good.

                    Bob Brewer

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                      Hear hear! The AO series 10 is virtually indestructible, can be set up
                      where you will never crash a slide, and feature very decent optics, even
                      the simple achromats perform well. Lee and Bob are spot-on with the AO
                      Series 10, at one time the preeminent laboratory microscope in almost
                      every hospital laboratory in North America (from 1960 to 1980). I will
                      add one to my collection (some day). Good luck on your quest.

                      Gregg

                    • Jay
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                        If you want an AO series 10 with a trinoc, I have one I'd sell. I
                        have too
                        many scopes (2 Wild M20's, 2 AO series II, and the AO 10) I'd sell it
                        $275.00 plus shipping via UPS appox $15-$20.00) it has the p/s, 4
                        objectives
                        (4x, 40x, 40?x, and 100x oil) if I remember right, and 2 AO 10x
                        oculars. It
                        probably could use cleaning,and has a few rub marks on the arm and
                        stage, although everything works fine.
                        If interested you can contact me directly at jaystanley@.... I
                        can also
                        except Paypal. Also if you wanted I have the polarizer for it (part
                        goes on
                        the field lens and part between the arm and bino head), for $75.00.
                        I apologize to the group, if this is out of line.
                        Jay
                      • Bobby
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                          Most of what you guys are saying is going right by me. I can hang in
                          there in the techno-speak over on the telescope lists, but you guys
                          have mostly lost me.

                          Anyway, I am trying to sell the microscope mentioned inthe thread
                          started in message 8717. I think it is in pretty good shape. Here
                          are 2 points: it needs some cleaning, I think, just in general. And
                          the 10x eyepiece likely needs to be replaced (marks in the coating
                          and a ding toward the edge of the lens)though it works well. I & the
                          kids used it for an hour or so. Even the lamp still works.

                          I have no definite figure in mind, but it seems like a good scope if
                          anyone is interested, feel free to mail me off-list. BTW: I also
                          have 2 boxes of slides that appear to be all bilogical stuff- bits of
                          liver, brain, heart, blood, etc.

                          Bobby
                          rfclef@...
                        • Bobby

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                              Hello, Jay:

                              Making a good offer in this group is certainly appreciated. I just
                              have one question regarding your offer to him.

                              What does "it probably could use cleaning" mean? If it
                              requires "cleaning", what kind of "cleaning" are you talking about?
                              For instance oil immersion on the front lenses that require dangerous
                              chemicals to have the dried-in crystals removed is also called
                              cleaning. Personally, I try to avoid lenses that require this much
                              cleaning. A trinocular viewing body with dust inside the prisms also
                              requires "cleaning". Most amateurs fail in even trying to take this
                              one apart and clean it successfully. It's a nightmare for a beginner
                              to clean a trinoc.

                              Can you please be more specific about the required cleaning for your
                              offered scope?

                              Thanks,

                              Gregor

                              --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <jaystanley@c...> wrote:
                              > If you want an AO series 10 with a trinoc, I have one I'd sell. I
                              > have too
                              > many scopes (2 Wild M20's, 2 AO series II, and the AO 10) I'd sell
                              it
                              > $275.00 plus shipping via UPS appox $15-$20.00) it has the p/s, 4
                              > objectives
                              > (4x, 40x, 40?x, and 100x oil) if I remember right, and 2 AO 10x
                              > oculars. It
                              > probably could use cleaning,and has a few rub marks on the arm and
                              > stage, although everything works fine.
                              > If interested you can contact me directly at jaystanley@c... I
                              > can also
                              > except Paypal. Also if you wanted I have the polarizer for it (part
                              > goes on
                              > the field lens and part between the arm and bino head), for $75.00.
                              > I apologize to the group, if this is out of line.
                              > Jay
                            • Jay Stanley
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                                I'm no expert by any means, but I'm sure the oculars need cleaned and the
                                objectives probaly do too. I don't use immersion oil so I don;t know about
                                it. If you like, I can take a few photos thru it if it would help.
                                Jay
                              • microscopy@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 1, 2003
                                  Thanks. I would provide images to a possible buyer.

                                  Try to find out if the front lenses need to be cleaned but have no
                                  scratches, or if there is dirt inside the objectives. A very small
                                  amount of dirt inside the objective is not necessarily a sign of
                                  trouble and quite often degrades the image only very marginally and
                                  can be neglected for most applications. Nothing is perfect. Not even
                                  brand new lenses.

                                  If the trinoc is clean and there is no immersion oil on the front
                                  lens of any objective, the scope will have already passed a
                                  significant hurdle. If it is mechanically in good shape (nice smooth
                                  fine and coarse motion) and has a condenser and illumination that
                                  works, it will be most certainly worth the price you are asking.
                                  Cleaning the eyepieces is usually not a big deal.

                                  Gregor

                                  --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Stanley" <jaystanley@c...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > I'm no expert by any means, but I'm sure the oculars need cleaned
                                  and the
                                  > objectives probaly do too. I don't use immersion oil so I don;t
                                  know about
                                  > it. If you like, I can take a few photos thru it if it would help.
                                  > Jay
                                • scwest2001
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2003
                                    --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "pta_nm" <pta_nm@y...> wrote:
                                    > Hello everybody,
                                    > I'm a newcomer here.
                                    > I'm looking for a cheap & good quality microscope with digital
                                    > camera or with possibility to install it. Has anybody tried

                                    I recently wanted to get a microscope and didn't want to spend much
                                    money. The more I looked, the higher my base price became until I
                                    almost gave up not wanting to spend that amount of money.

                                    Someone on the group was aware of my searching and found a used LOMO
                                    phase contrast scope (with trinocular for photography) for a
                                    fraction of what I was going to pay for even a used "big-four" scope
                                    you typically find on ebay. I've been very happy with this unit.

                                    I think that if my choice was to buy a *new* LOMO or a used "big-
                                    four" scope on ebay, I'd choose the latter, but the used price on
                                    the LOMO was excellent, and I've been very pleased with it.

                                    You also have to decide what you want. I really wanted to look at
                                    pond stuff, so phase contrast was high on my priority list.
                                    However, when my kids looked through it, they thought it was cool
                                    and all that, but they wondered how they were going to get a
                                    grasshopper between the slide and objective!!!?

                                    So it was off to ebay. I ended up buying 2 stereo AO scopes (a 569
                                    and 570). One was just over 200, and the other just under, but both
                                    really were in great shape. Since then, I've watched the microscopes
                                    go by on ebay, and you really can get a great deal and you really
                                    can pay more than you should.

                                    For a newcomer like me, ebay was a hopeless venture because I didn't
                                    know enough about microscopes to gauge whether I was getting ripped
                                    off or not. Now, I would buy my next used scope through ebay
                                    without question (but I don't need another!).

                                    This isn't much help I'm sure, but if you see something you might
                                    like on ebay, I (or anyone else here) would happily take a look at
                                    it and comment.

                                    Steve
                                  • Wall, Rob
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 2, 2003
                                      I've just finished a search for a polarizing scope for my daughter. The more
                                      I looked, the more I became convinced of two related realities: 1) The
                                      members of the "big-four" are not equal in quality or in value. Frankly, the
                                      German scopes are better made (and I for one do not think this gap is
                                      closing) and they hold their value on the resale market. This is partly the
                                      result of a reluctance to make any facile changes; that is, a Leica or Zeiss
                                      model will "hold" for several years. 2) The improvements Leica and Zeiss
                                      make are real improvements. Their technology is simply better technology.
                                      So, at day's end we bought new rather than used (model change=improved
                                      technology) and we bought Leica (better built and better resale value)
                                      rather than Nikon or Olympus. Easier to use too.

                                      R.

                                      Dr. Robert W. Wall
                                      Seattle Pacific University
                                      Seattle, WA 98119
                                      USA

                                      > I'm looking for a cheap & good quality microscope with digital
                                      > camera or with possibility to install it. Has anybody tried

                                      I recently wanted to get a microscope and didn't want to spend much
                                      money. The more I looked, the higher my base price became until I
                                      almost gave up not wanting to spend that amount of money.

                                      Someone on the group was aware of my searching and found a used LOMO
                                      phase contrast scope (with trinocular for photography) for a
                                      fraction of what I was going to pay for even a used "big-four" scope
                                      you typically find on ebay. I've been very happy with this unit.

                                      I think that if my choice was to buy a *new* LOMO or a used "big-
                                      four" scope on ebay, I'd choose the latter, but the used price on
                                      the LOMO was excellent, and I've been very pleased with it.

                                      You also have to decide what you want. I really wanted to look at
                                      pond stuff, so phase contrast was high on my priority list.
                                      However, when my kids looked through it, they thought it was cool
                                      and all that, but they wondered how they were going to get a
                                      grasshopper between the slide and objective!!!?

                                      So it was off to ebay. I ended up buying 2 stereo AO scopes (a 569
                                      and 570). One was just over 200, and the other just under, but both
                                      really were in great shape. Since then, I've watched the microscopes
                                      go by on ebay, and you really can get a great deal and you really
                                      can pay more than you should.

                                      For a newcomer like me, ebay was a hopeless venture because I didn't
                                      know enough about microscopes to gauge whether I was getting ripped
                                      off or not. Now, I would buy my next used scope through ebay
                                      without question (but I don't need another!).

                                      This isn't much help I'm sure, but if you see something you might
                                      like on ebay, I (or anyone else here) would happily take a look at
                                      it and comment.

                                      Steve

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050829
                                      46:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=13
                                      74-105951838331032> click here

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                      l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=672424200>

                                    • microscopy@sbcglobal.net
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 3, 2003
                                        Interesting assessment. But I do not believe it is an objective
                                        statement.

                                        But I can understand you. It is normal that people try to defend a
                                        brand for which they just spend thousands of dollars.

                                        Gregor