Re: Lacrymaria olor video - feeding and dying

  • BillPorter1874
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014

      I had to make a correction of a date that appeared in my Lacrymaria video. I had said, “This spring (2013)” when it should have been “This spring (2014).” I deleted the version with the incorrect date and uploaded a corrected version at this link:

      Lacrymaria olor - One of Earth's Strangest Creatures

    • Kerri Duncan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
        Bill- Excellent- thank you... from a newbie to micro/magnification work!

        Kerri

      • BillPorter1874
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
          Hi Kerri,

          Thanks! I'm pretty much a newbie myself having just started into the hobby last fall.

          Regards,
          Bill
        • antonyg2
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
            Another excellent video Bill!

            You're lucky to be able to collect and observe this incredible creature.  I'm also a newbie and have not able to find one from my usual collecting spots yet. Maybe I should try some more locations..

            A few questions:

            1. Do you notice where you usually find them? Top water, mid, or bottom of the water body?  Any optimal temperature, and are they still around as the weather changed?

            2. Were you able to culture Lacrymaria?  I hope when I found one, it can be multiplied the way Spirostomum and nematodes overtaken most of my samples :(

            Antony
          • BillPorter1874
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
              Hi Antony,

              I found my Lacrymaria at the edge of a local pond. I had a couple of dead leaves and some bottom muck in the sample jar.

              I have never tried to culture them, but see the following link for good information about that:

              Regards,
              Bill
            • BillPorter1874
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
                Antony, check out this site for information on Lacrymaria. At the bottom of the page there is a link for a discussion of culturing them.

              • antonyg2
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
                  Great info Bill.

                  Doesn't look like an easy task  to culture them then.   I'll be happy just to find one and see it eating :)
                • Randall Buck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014

                    Those are good questions

                    Perhaps you could say a few words about where you do your collection, such as,

                    what part of the country?
                    what type of habitat, e.g., stream, natural pond, drainage ditch, municipal pond, lake, brackish slough, tide pool (added just to be thorough)?
                    where in the water stratum was it collected?
                    free swimming or squeezes from water algae or weeds?

                    Randall

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2014
                      Hi Randall,

                      I found my Lacrymaria at the edge of a local pond. I had a couple of dead leaves and some bottom muck in the sample jar. As I recall, I placed an eye dropper right on the surface of a dead leaf and sucked up some stuff from there. I live in Northern Kentucky, just a few minutes south of Cincinnati, OH.

                      The pond is fairly small, less than 100 yards long and maybe 25 yards wide. It's about 100 yards from the front door of our condo unit, so it is very convenient to walk to and collect some samples.

                      Regards,
                      Bill

                    • Elliot Kirschbaum
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2014
                        Great video, Bill.

                        I've enjoyed all your videos.

                        --
                        Elliot

                        --
                        Elliot Kirschbaum
                        Shepherdstown, WV

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2014
                          Thanks, Elliot!  I'd like to get a 40X nicely focused shot of Lacrymaria snaring a good sized meal. I have read that it uses toxicysts to stun or kill large prey and it would be neat to show that in a video. It would probably be wicked hard to capture on video though. I think that in meal #4 of my video, you can see it stun the Aspidisca before engulfing it.

                          Regards,
                          Bill