Re: [Microscope] Re: New member with vintage B&L Toolmakers' Microscope.

  • pjifl
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
      You will get there eventually. And it looks like a very useful microscope.

      NOW, this has nothing to do with your microscope but some may find it
      interesting.

      I do a lot of work on Telescopic Sights. Repairing and modifying even new
      ones.

      Some of these are top end quality.

      By far the worst problem is figuring out how to disassemble. This is
      probably worse in Telescopic Sights because they are sealed and meant to be
      rather hardy and not fall apart.

      Usually solvents are not enough and controlled heat has to be applied even
      after loosening grub screws and locking rings.
      One has to make heat shields to protect adjacent parts .

      One top brand - I could never figure out how to remove the eyepiece although
      the entire eyepiece bell was removable.

      I could not remove a locking band close to the end. Heat, torque, near
      heart attack, etc. but admitted defeat and hoped I would never have to get
      inside the eyepiece.

      Then one day for some reason on another specimen discovered by accident this
      locking ring was loose - AND IT WAS A LEFT HAND THREAD. I have never seen
      this on another riflescope.

      Knowledge worth hundreds of dollars !!!

      The manufacturers won't tell you anything of course.

      Peter Smith.