Re: [Microscope] Re: Zeiss lens cleaner

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi Greg M..I just visited you useful Zeiss link, thank you.  But they call: 'benzoline a medical alcohol'!??  I thought benzoline =benzine?  Since when is benzine termed: medical alcohol?  I now am confused.  And is this for current/relatively current Zeiss lens vrs Carl Zeiss/West Germany Planapo lens?  There may be no answer...on my vintage stands I have always used ethanol, of course sparingly.   all the best, charlie guevara

      ________________________________
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 14, 2013
        Bad form to reply to ones own emails but

        I said

        > On bare glass, one readily available agent that has been used by people
        > making photographic plates (like making the emulsion and coating the
        > glass)
        > is NapiSan. Or is it NappySan ?? The glass is simply left to soak in a
        > solution.
        > Because of the coating the surface needs to be very clean and it seems to
        > work. Somewhere there is web material on this.
        >
        > Also labelled as a Soaking and Cleaning agent in Supermarkets possibly to
        > bypass the above trade name.
        >
        > Anyway, it contains a high percentage of Sodium PerCarbonate which is a
        > strong oxidizer.

        Should have mentioned for anyone wanting to trace this down most of the web
        material was about making Plates for Holography.

        Peter Smith.