Re: Lomo

  • tony.pattinson@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2012
      Dan,
      how do the images compare with the visual coverage? There does seem to be some CA on the sharp edges. If it's not visible, it must be the objective, projection lens, tube lens or whatever combination. I'm not sure what optical combination that you've arrived at.
      Is the arrangement parfocal?

      Tony

      Reading UK

      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "danrx1" <danbd1943@...> wrote:

      > Tony,
      > I have uploaded photos to my album here (First 5 photos):

      > I need to work on the focus or find a free program somewhere that allows me to focus on the computer monitor. Olympus Studio 2 doesn't allow that.
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tony.pattinson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dan,
      > >
      > > it always pays to have loads of bits lying about, doesn't it? You just never know when those 'extra' bits will come in handy. The problem for me is remembering what I've got - and where I've put it.
      > >
      > > That's an interesting trino arrangement. I've not seen one with the tube alongside. Presumably it doesn't interfere with the viewing.
      > >
      > > Have you managed to put a projection lens in the new arrangement? I couldn't see it in the pictures. Otherwise you could be just using the objective at the primary image point, I suppose. We need to see some images. Well done anyway.
      > >

      > > regards
      > >
      > > Tony
      > >
      > > Reading UK
      > >
      > > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "danrx1" <danbd1943@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > I posted pictures of my Lomo stereoscope hooked up to my Olympus E510 using spare parts shipped with my Motic 2300 camera and a 4/3rds adapter I bought on ebay. You can see them here:

      > > > Dan

    • danrx1
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2012
        It is not par focal Tony. I don't see the CA on observation, just in the photograph. These were taken with a 1x projection lens in the optical path with the camera mounted as previously explained. The 8.25x lens caused to much vignetting. I am experimenting with different lenses. You would think that this has been done before and there is a simple solution but I sure can't find one yet.
        Dan

        --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "tony.pattinson@..." <tony.pattinson@...> wrote:

        > Dan,
        > how do the images compare with the visual coverage? There does seem to be some CA on the sharp edges. If it's not visible, it must be the objective, projection lens, tube lens or whatever combination. I'm not sure what optical combination that you've arrived at.
        > Is the arrangement parfocal?
        >

        > Tony
        >
        > Reading UK
        >
        > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "danrx1" <danbd1943@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tony,
        > > I have uploaded photos to my album here (First 5 photos):

        > > I need to work on the focus or find a free program somewhere that allows me to focus on the computer monitor. Olympus Studio 2 doesn't allow that.
        > > Dan
        > >
        > > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tony.pattinson@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Dan,
        > > >
        > > > it always pays to have loads of bits lying about, doesn't it? You just never know when those 'extra' bits will come in handy. The problem for me is remembering what I've got - and where I've put it.
        > > >
        > > > That's an interesting trino arrangement. I've not seen one with the tube alongside. Presumably it doesn't interfere with the viewing.
        > > >
        > > > Have you managed to put a projection lens in the new arrangement? I couldn't see it in the pictures. Otherwise you could be just using the objective at the primary image point, I suppose. We need to see some images. Well done anyway.
        > > >

        > > > regards
        > > >
        > > > Tony
        > > >
        > > > Reading UK

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2012
          Well, it's a problem that I've spent a lot of time on solving for my setups. I've sort of given up on projection lenses, as I could never find one at 1.6x. This is the optimum for my sensor size. Added to that is finding the correct correction for the objective.

          My solution has been to use a correctly matched x4 viewing eyepiece and, effectively, a 100mm afocal camera lens (50mm x2). This has produced the best results so far and I have the choice of a cropped image with the 100mm, or the whole viewable area with 50mm. The choice of viewing eyepieces is much greater than Projection types, and x4 is not difficult to find. It gives a slightly different set of problems concerning the camera attachment, but not too difficult.

          The basic principle is that, if I can't see the CA when viewing through the Trino port and x4 eyepiece, it shouldn't show up on the image.

          Tony

          Reading UK

          --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "danrx1" <danbd1943@...> wrote:

          > It is not par focal Tony. I don't see the CA on observation, just in the photograph. These were taken with a 1x projection lens in the optical path with the camera mounted as previously explained. The 8.25x lens caused to much vignetting. I am experimenting with different lenses. You would think that this has been done before and there is a simple solution but I sure can't find one yet.
          > Dan
          >
          > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "tony.pattinson@" <tony.pattinson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dan,
          > > how do the images compare with the visual coverage? There does seem to be some CA on the sharp edges. If it's not visible, it must be the objective, projection lens, tube lens or whatever combination. I'm not sure what optical combination that you've arrived at.
          > > Is the arrangement parfocal?
          > >

          > > Tony
          > >
          > > Reading UK
          > >
          > > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "danrx1" <danbd1943@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Tony,
          > > > I have uploaded photos to my album here (First 5 photos):

          > > > I need to work on the focus or find a free program somewhere that allows me to focus on the computer monitor. Olympus Studio 2 doesn't allow that.
          > > > Dan

        • danrx1
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2012
            I think the only thing to do is experiment with different lenses until I find one that satisfies me. Thanks for your help so far Tony and I'll let you know when I solve the problem.