RE: [Microscope] Need help finding transformer/power unit for Leitz Lamp

  • Randall Buck
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi,
      What I do is simply cut off the old plug and install two "Banana Plugs", one
      on each wire. Alternately, Pomona makes a double bananna plug with standard
      3/4" spacing -- I think that is the spacing between the two banana jacks on
      your Leitz power supply.

      See ebay 320581204777 and 120828734718 for example.

      Randall

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
        This is the transformer you probably need: 270505749654

        --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket combination is not too common.
        >
        > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
        >
        > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer, because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
        >
        > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade socket transformer)?
        >
        > Any illumination would be appreciated.
        >
        > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
        >
        > Many thanks.

      • mlieber507
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hi,
          If you get the unit rewired, do not get it rewired with a standard AC outlet fixture. A special adapter of any kind is preferred to prevent an accidental connection to a 120V source.
          Mel

          --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket combination is not too common.
          >
          > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
          >
          > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer, because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
          >
          > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade socket transformer)?
          >
          > Any illumination would be appreciated.
          >
          > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
          >
          > Many thanks.

        • Randall Buck
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
            OOPS !

            I thought you were referring to the low voltage plug coming from the
            lamphouse to the transformer. If it is the line cord you are talking about,
            cancel my suggestions.

            Randall

            This is the transformer you probably need: 270505749654

            --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@...> wrote:

            > Hello All,
            >
            > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have
            a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number
            or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are
            13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket
            combination is not too common.

            > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
            >
            > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because it
            had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer,
            because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.

            > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit with
            the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard US
            2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade socket
            transformer)?

            > Any illumination would be appreciated.
            >
            > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
            >
            > Many thanks.

          • Bob Spez
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
              Charles,

              I see on your pics that the plug that goes into the wall outlet is a not
              an American 120 volt three prong plug,
              so maybe you need an adapter to plug that plug into an adapter into an
              American electric outlet. The two plugs that plug
              into the power transformer on black enamel Leitz transformers are 13 mm
              apart so that seems standard.
              Looking at your light source, I'm not even sure how that attaches to the
              microscope stand.
              Bob

              On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM, charles.2211 <charles.2211@...> wrote:

              > This is the transformer you probably need: 270505749654
              >
              > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello All,
              > >
              > > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have
              > a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number
              > or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are
              > 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket
              > combination is not too common.
              > >
              > > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
              > >
              > > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because
              > it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer,
              > because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
              > >
              > > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit
              > with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard
              > US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade
              > socket transformer)?
              > >
              > > Any illumination would be appreciated.
              > >
              > > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
              > >
              > > Many thanks.

            • Len Robertson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                Have you looked at the voltage marked on the base of your bulb? I have
                a newer version of the on-base lamp which came with my Leitz SM, serial
                #598,xxx. It came with a 6 volt bulb. Much of the Leitz literature I've
                seen on the black era scopes indicate many of them used 6V bulbs. I
                suspect you could put a different end on your lamp cord (maybe even a
                couple of automotive crimp-on bullet wire connectors) and use the
                transformer you have. If you have a 6V bulb, your transformer goes up to
                24V, so you need to be careful not to turn it up much above 6V, or risk
                blowing the bulb. And you will only be using the bottom 1/4 of the
                transformer adjustment range, so you may not have as fine a control as
                you would with a 6V transformer. But it may work just fine too. Wiring a
                resistor between the lamp and transformer to drop the output to 6V might
                work to solve both problems.

                eBay #330709094566 is a two-prong transformer adjustable from 2 to 7
                volts. Depending on the spacing of the prongs, it may be close to what
                your lamp originally had. I wouldn't pay that price, but I'm quite
                cheap. But it may give you an idea what to look for. I've been powering
                my American Optical Model 10 lamp with an old Lionel electric train
                transformer plugged into a household dimmer switch that works to reduce
                the output of the transformer. I'll use the same system with my Leitz
                lamp when I find a new bulb for it. For now, I'm getting along fine with
                a mirror on the base and external light.

                I also have Leitz Labolux/Laborlux (anyone is welcome to explain the
                difference to me, so I know what to call mine), serial #508,xxx. It must
                be close to the same vintage as yours. Mine has the low base without the
                built-in lamp of the later Laboluxes. It has a hole in the base to take
                either a mirror, or lamp with pin like yours. The stand is about 3/4
                inch taller than my SM, the base has a larger footprint than the SM, and
                it has a removable dovetail mount nosepiece, which as far as I know, the
                SMs didn't have. Also, the condenser mount on my Laborlux is a circular
                mount, like my SM, not the dovetail condenser mount of most later Leitz
                scopes. Does this sound similar to your 510,xxx?

                I loaded 3 different pics of my lamp on my Flickr page:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/78824315@N00/6893433248/in/photostream I'm
                curious if it looks like the original lamp that would have been sold
                with my #598,xxx SM, if anyone happens to know.

                Len

                On 4/1/2012 5:05 PM, filmsfun wrote:

                > Hello All,
                >
                > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I
                > have a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the
                > model number or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug
                > (centers of plugs are 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this
                > type of plug/socket combination is not too common.
                >
                > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
                >
                > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because
                > it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying.
                > Bummer, because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
                >
                > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit
                > with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a
                > standard US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard
                > US 2-blade socket transformer)?
                >
                > Any illumination would be appreciated.
                >
                > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
                >
                > Many thanks.

              • J. Forster
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Uf anybody is interested, I have a nice little Zeiss 5/6/8 VAC transformer
                  that I offered here a while ago, w/o any takers. Type LTKL. The low
                  voltage connections are in an inverted "T"... Common at the intersection.

                  $25, postpaid in the US. Sorry, no PayPal. If interested, please drop me
                  a note off-list.

                  Best,

                  -John

                  ================

                • filmsfun
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                    Mel,

                    Thank you. I have suspected that this is at least one of the reasons for most transformers using something other than a standard AC 2-blade plug. That safety feature is always good to keep in mind.

                    Hailu

                    --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "mlieber507" <mlieber507@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > If you get the unit rewired, do not get it rewired with a standard AC outlet fixture. A special adapter of any kind is preferred to prevent an accidental connection to a 120V source.
                    > Mel
                    >
                    > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello All,
                    > >
                    > > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket combination is not too common.
                    > >
                    > > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
                    > >
                    > > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer, because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
                    > >
                    > > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade socket transformer)?
                    > >
                    > > Any illumination would be appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
                    > >
                    > > Many thanks.

                  • filmsfun
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                      Hi Charles,

                      That's exactly the transformer that I have. The female pin socket, on the back side of the unit that is not in the eBay seller's page, is too closely spaced. Thanks for the effort though.

                      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "charles.2211" <charles.2211@...> wrote:

                      > This is the transformer you probably need: 270505749654
                      >
                      > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "filmsfun" <filmsfun@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello All,
                      > >
                      > > Here is my first post. Sorry that it's to ask a novice question. I have a Leitz lamp for my 510,XXX vintage Labolux. I don't know the model number or name. My problem is that it has a 2-prong plug (centers of plugs are 13mm apart). I am in the United States, and this type of plug/socket combination is not too common.
                      > >
                      > > Please see my album: Leitz Microscope Lamp.
                      > >
                      > > I purchased a Leitz labeled Electro-Powerpacs Corp transformer because it had a two-pronged socket that I could not measure before buying. Bummer, because the socket holes were not wide enough apart.
                      > >
                      > > Would you suggest that I keep searching for a transformer/power unit with the correct 2-prong socket, or, get the lamp re-wired for a standard US 2-blade plug and go from there (trying to find a standard US 2-blade socket transformer)?
                      > >
                      > > Any illumination would be appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > ps: I'll post pics of the Leitz/Electro-Powerpacs transformer.
                      > >
                      > > Many thanks.

                    • filmsfun
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                        Hi Randall,

                        You were correct in your first response.

                        I'll visit a small local electrical store tomorrow to see about a new cord, and those banana plugs that you mentioned. I'm thinking that the banana plug may give me greater flexibility in utility if I get a different transformer. I had considered replacing with that European 2-prong plug; but, again I'd run into limitations in future. Thanks for your input.

                        When I get things sorted out I'll post some pix of the lamp and the microscope.

                        Hailu