Re: Dust cover(s)

  • John
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
      I decided to go for these any way. Ebay 220534564245. Polyprop will heat seal. It's usually done by melting the 2 parts to be joined and ramming them together but polythene bag techniques such as 2 pieces of angle iron to keep the heat in the edges to be joined and a flame might work. If it does I suspect these might be suitable for making most of a net as well.

      John

      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Don G" <degrybk@...> wrote:

      > Some time back I was thinking I needed to make some covers for some of my microscopes and related equipment, several of which were large, awkward shaped, and equipped with various peripherals. After scratching my head for a considerable time and rolling around several possibilities in my mind, I settled on making them out of ripstop nylon and "tarp tape".
      >
      > I got my ripstop nylon at the local JoAnn fabric store that I've often passed by but didn't think it was a place that a nice boy like me should be frequenting. (Hint: at least here in the Seattle area, the Sunday paper invariably includes JoAnn advertisements with a 40-50% discount on the first piece of fabric.) I can't imagine that similar nylon isn't available internationally. My local hardware store was the source of the tarp tape. For those of you aren't familiar with it, tarp tape is a lighter and more flexible than duct tape, and supposedly is waterproof (and really does tape plastic tarps together well.) And of course, you can get both through amazon.com and ebay.com.
      >
      > I've included a couple of pictures of the covers I made in my "DonG" photo album:

      > As I recall, after cutting the ripstop nylon to size, I tacked it together at several places with small pieces of tape, laid the pieces down on a flat surface, stretched them out and temporarily held them down with tape, used a black marker to mark what would be the edge of the tape at a seam, and then used long strips of tape along the seam. Early on, I made it difficult for myself and tried to make a three-dimension cover but quickly decided that a flat cover not unlike a pillow case would work even better if for no other reason than it folded flat. For several of the covers, once I had made a flat, rectangular cover and put it over the equipment, I was able to quickly see where I could cut off one or more corners and tape the angled seam. You might also note that if you use ripstop nylon, you don't even have to do anything to the cut ends. After more than a year, none of the taped seams show any sign of coming apart.
      >
      > The bottom line is that once I have the material and the tape, I can probably make a custom cover faster than it took to type this up. I can make any size I want; these covers are probably as dustproof as plastic; they fold well, and they are cheap.
      >
      > …and of course, for the less sewing challenged, you could do the same thing with a sewing machine.
      >
      > Don
      >

      > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "vee.doug" <vee-doug@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, would someone kindly point me in the direction of (an) inexpensive dust cover(s) for my AO Model series 10 scope(s). I already have one dust cover that *nearly* fits (albeit a bit short) my first Model 10, but my latest acquisition arrived totally nude. I would like to find a matching pair that properly fit and aren't overly expensive.

> [...]
    • Brad Rylander
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
        I use stuff sacks from REI or any other back packer supplier. Many sizes and
        colors are available.

        Have fun.

        Brad
      • Randall Buck
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
          Hi John, I tried this once and discovered that the melting iron has to be
          not too hot (or it will just melt through) and
          not too cold (obviously). But Goldilocks aside, placing some Teflon tape
          over the seam prior to heating was
          the key to success (success being defined as not having the whole mess
          sticking to the iron as you pull away).

          best luck,

          Randall

> [...]

          seams show any sign of coming apart.

          > The bottom line is that once I have the material and the tape, I can
          probably make a custom cover faster than it took to type this up. I can make
          any size I want; these covers are probably as dustproof as plastic; they
          fold well, and they are cheap.

          > …and of course, for the less sewing challenged, you could do the same
          thing with a sewing machine.

          > Don
          >

          > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "vee.doug" <vee-doug@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, would someone kindly point me in the direction of (an) inexpensive
          dust cover(s) for my AO Model series 10 scope(s). I already have one dust
          cover that *nearly* fits (albeit a bit short) my first Model 10, but my
          latest acquisition arrived totally nude. I would like to find a matching
          pair that properly fit and aren't overly expensive.

        • mecium.para
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
            Clear plastic garbage bags? (Some of us save every penny
            for more toys...)

            --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "vee.doug" <vee-doug@...> wrote:

            > Hi, would someone kindly point me in the direction of (an) inexpensive dust cover(s) for my AO Model series 10 scope(s). I already have one dust cover that *nearly* fits (albeit a bit short) my first Model 10, but my latest acquisition arrived totally nude. I would like to find a matching pair that properly fit and aren't overly expensive.
            >
            > Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Douglas

          • shiamr
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
              Hi,

              I don't know the size of an AO, but if it's similar to the size of
              contemporaneous British makes such as Watson, Baker & Beck, a good dust
              proofing idea is a glass bell jar / dome. Very popular in the Victorian
              / Edwardian period for exhibiting dried flowers, figurines and stuffed
              birds and small animals. Usually expensive when sold in antique shops,
              but if you keep your eyes open can be picked up for next to nothing at
              car boot sales and in charity and junk shops.

              Ron.
              --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "vee.doug" <vee-doug@...> wrote:

              > Hi, would someone kindly point me in the direction of (an) inexpensive
              dust cover(s) for my AO Model series 10 scope(s). I already have one
              dust cover that *nearly* fits (albeit a bit short) my first Model 10,
              but my latest acquisition arrived totally nude. I would like to find a
              matching pair that properly fit and aren't overly expensive.

              > Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
              >
              > Douglas

            • too_many_tools
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
                Try using the clear plastic bags that one finds in the produce section of your supermarket.

                --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "mecium.para" <mecium.para@...> wrote:

                > Clear plastic garbage bags? (Some of us save every penny
                > for more toys...)
                >
                > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "vee.doug" <vee-doug@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi, would someone kindly point me in the direction of (an) inexpensive dust cover(s) for my AO Model series 10 scope(s). I already have one dust cover that *nearly* fits (albeit a bit short) my first Model 10, but my latest acquisition arrived totally nude. I would like to find a matching pair that properly fit and aren't overly expensive.
                > >
                > > Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
                > >
                > > Douglas

              • Alan
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
                  There are web sites that will make custom size dust covers in a choice of materials. Dust-cover.com is one such site. I had a couple of covers made up and they are perfect for my scopes. Just carefully measure the size you need. Cost about $15-20. The pillow covers sound like a great idea, though.

                  Sent by Carrier Electropidgeon

                • Ronald
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
                    Hi,

                    I also have an AO series 10 scope. I use a green garbage bag cut to length from the bottom. For fancy moments, like when I take my scope to the museum, I use an old pillow case. There's more than enough room for covering a scope with one of these, which would have been tossed out anyway.

                    Ron