Re: 20x objective

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
      I just got a Amscope A680T and it is the best quality scope I have owned. It came with support for 5 objectives and the 5th they chose a 20X. None of the objectives have any markers that I see and the 20X is longer than the 40X and I think that the 20X is a really nice lens in that for its power it is very sharp and focus is very symmetrical.

      Since I've had the scope I almost alway go for the 200 unless it is something really out of its range. I wish I knew who makes this stuff and they would badge them somehow.

      But lets say it is a Motic well then they could not break their dealer agreements with Motic dealers so I guess this is the reason for no name. I don't think it is to escape responsibility because the 20X is something to brag about.

      the Amscope stand is one of the most heavy duty I have seen in Chinese yet. I bought it for its Köhler illumination but I think i may have latched on to one of the better scopes out of china thanks to Dan's first purchase.

      Frank

      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "rhamvossen" <r.vossen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rene,
      >
      > Not too expensive is a personal thing. A 25x neofluar easily cost $200, that's not cheap either. Yes, their images are very nice, I have one myself. But when I compare the 25x neofluar with my 20x no-name (which is almost 10x cheaper) I don't think the image of the neofluar is 10x better. By the way, I have a 25x Zeiss achromat (so, not plan), it's one of those with the full metal "silver" barrel.
      >
      > Rolf
      >
      > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "rene" <r.van.wezel@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The 16/25x neofluars come up regularly on ebay or via the dealers, and really not too expensive from my perspective. NA/mag ratio is excellent, very nice images for pondlife in brightfield. Indeed, there's no achro 16/25x, it is planachro instead. I wouldn't bother with them for pondlife, unless you're also into histology. As David mentioned, the lomo 20/0.65 apos are cheap and superb, must however be used with an exension adapter, but works then very well (own experience, with a Zeiss 160mm DIC setup!). Again, unless you have a real need for flat field, the Lomo is best value for money.
      > >
      > > Rene.
      > >
      > > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "rhamvossen" <r.vossen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Fred,
      > > >
      > > > Looking for a Zeiss 20x or 25x objective can be frustrating as there are not many around. I'm not very sure but I believe that Zeiss also made 160 mm 20x objectives (can someone confirm that?) but you will have a hard time finding one. The 25x objectives you see from time to time are mostly neofluars and are expensive. As David already mentioned, a 16x objective is also very usefull but mostly you will see neofluar 16x phase objectives which are again not very cheap. I've never seen a Zeiss 16x achromat, David have you? To make a long story short: I would not bother looking for a Zeiss 16x-25 objective unless you have enough patience. I would look for a no-name Chinese 20x objective, you can buy them new and they are cheap. I have a 20x no-name myself that's very good. There's a dealer here in Holland who imorts them from China and sells them new for 35 EUR.
      > > >
      > > > Rolf

    • rjlittlefield
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
        Frank, thanks for the info. I assume your scope is the one described at
        http://store.amscope.com/t680a.html

        I've seen some of their ads that offer upgrades to plan objectives.
        Did you get those, or go with the achromats in the base package?

        --Rik