Re: [Microscope] Re: Naturalist's killing fluid.

  • Andy Chick
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi as a field entomologist thats used to making kill jars in a pinc, the
      extra stuff never seems to affect the ethyl acetate, altho sometimes nail
      polish remover seem more effective than pure ethyl acetate

      On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the information given here.
      >
      > I was unable to find a source for chloroform, my first choice.
      >
      > I found finger nail polish remover is made with either acetone or ethyl
      > acetate. I bought a bottle made with ethyl acetate, my second choice. There
      > are other ingredients in it too but since the primary ingredient is ethyl
      > acetate it shouldn't matter. And it's cheap.
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com <Microscope%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In Microscopy on a Shoestring Owen Meyer recommends ethyl acetate as a
      > naturalist's killing fluid. Can you tell me where I can obtain this or
      > another equally good fluid?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dan

    • Chris Robinson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Andy,

        is it possible that the "more affective" nail polish removers contain both ethyl acetate and acetone?  They both work as a central nervous system depressant/narcotic.  Acetone is known to increase the narcotic affect of other substances in humans and while we are talking about insects (not humans) it might be possible you're seeing a similar reaction.

        Chris.

        On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@hotmail. com> wrote:

        > Thanks for the information given here.

        > I was unable to find a source for chloroform, my first choice.

        > I found finger nail polish remover is made with either acetone or ethyl

        > acetate. I bought a bottle made with ethyl acetate, my second choice. There

        > are other ingredients in it too but since the primary ingredient is ethyl

        > acetate it shouldn't matter. And it's cheap.

        > Thanks again,

        > Dan

        > --- In Microscope@yahoogro ups.com <Microscope% 40yahoogroups. com>,

        > "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@... > wrote:

        > > In Microscopy on a Shoestring Owen Meyer recommends ethyl acetate as a

        > naturalist's killing fluid. Can you tell me where I can obtain this or

        > another equally good fluid?

        > > Thanks,

        > > Dan

        Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline

      • NiftyMicro Mitch
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
          On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Ruary Rudd <ruaryrudd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dan,
          >
          > The deepfreeze does the job for me, but you could cut up some laurel leaves
          > and use that in the bottom of a jar. Chloroform is the best to use (if you
          > can get it) as the animals dies in a relaxed condition.
          > Ruary

          A lot depends on what you intend to kill with it and in what context.

          Today almost any solvent gets misused by teenagers and will be
          hard to get . In some cases you are required to ask as the material
          is behind the counter or in a locked case making it hard to read the
          contents used. But if you read the contents in many common products
          or visit a professional paint supply shop you may just find or be able
          to order modest amounts of what you need. Pay special attention to
          flammability and ventilation guidelines.

          Do read the Material Safety Data sheet for anything you work with
          even if it is used in a common product like nail polish remover.

          Ruary's comment about a freezer is a good one. Common ice with
          rock salt or common dry ice can make a good field chiller. Dry Ice
          will suffocate insects as well as super chill them. And if you combine
          family picnic with bug collecting a "cooler solution" based on ice or
          dry ice could make a safer option to have near food and children than
          other tricks.

          Do not overlook ether as found in "starting ether" spray cans
          and if you are gathering insects, a spray insecticide like Black Flag or Raid
          might be safer than some of the old school "killing jar" contents.

          Also naphtha as found in lighter fluid or even common moth balls
          can displace air and kill insects directly or indirectly.