Scientific suppliers source lists

  • Glenn Shipley
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
      Hi everyone:

      I recently ran across this "Matt's Scientific Suppliers List" website with a long set of links to scientific suppliers:

      http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~footer/companies.html

      The list is not complete, and some of the links I checked are bad or broken. It was last updated in 2002.

      Here are some more links with listings of suppliers:

      http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/amasci.html#surpl - wonderful amateur science sources website
      http://www.earthlife.net/insects/ent-supl.html - entomological supplies
      http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Instruments_and_Supplies/ - DMOZ Open Directory listing of science supplies and resources
      http://www.dmoz.org/Shopping/Recreation/Science_and_Nature/ - same for recreational science and nature
      http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Educational_Resources/Equipment/ - Open Directory listing of education-related science resources
      http://www.arabidopsis.com/main/ven/!sv.html - Lehle Seeds listing of scientific supply vendors

      I did not check the archives to see if anybody else has posted these links. Does anybody else know of similar listings on the internet?

      - Glenn (Chicago, USA)

    • Gordon Couger
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
        Glenn,

        I have a sort list in the commercial sections of my ols=d links pages you can find from www.science-info.net

        Gordon

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
          Gordon:

          Thanks! But are you aware that many of the links at http://www.couger.com/microscope/links/gccom.html are broken?

          If it would be helpful to you, I am willing to work my way through all the items on that page and send you an off-list note with a list of the links that do not work.

          - Glenn

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
            Glenn,

            Yes I am aware they dated, broken an poorly organized. That's
            what I am trying to correct on the new links pages at:
            http://web.mac.com/gcouger/NewLinks/MicroscopeResources.html
            and the organization quickly broke down there as well. And people
            that get to the main page don't go any farther. I am in the
            planning stages of another way to do it. I am not sure it will be
            better or even as as good.

            It comes down to a balance of time messing with tools or adding
            and organizing information. To me the way the world works today
            the historical knowledge is discounted too much by the new.
            Forcing us to reinvent the same wheels over and over and over
            again and do the same with mistakes because we don't pay
            attention to what went on before. Oblige lighting and ultra
            microscopy for a visible light microscopy is a very good example.
            What was new over 100 years ago is new again today as they use a
            laser shining into the corner of side cut and polished so the
            light can get in and go thought in Total Internal Reflection mode
            and cause sub micron particles on the slide to fluoresce. Or
            using darkfield methods to make particle too small to resolve
            light up an characterize them by their movement in time to
            discover size, charge and other information about them by their
            motion. Right now I can't find the references on either one of
            them and I read about the in the last two weeks.

            Anyone that has an ideas how to better organize this kind of
            problem please contact me.

            Gordon

            --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Shipley"