Re: [Microscope] Re: "Second tier" brands (was: Advice on buying a microscope)

  • ed fowler
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 28, 2008
      i have always been a lover of fine camera equipment. my old favorites
      work as well as they ever did, but the film has fallen to the age of
      modernization.

      On Apr 28, 2008, at 7:06 AM, J. G. McHone wrote:

> [...]
      > > :observations. A couple of years ago I cleaned and adjusted a
      > colleague's
      > > :black Leitz Dialux that had been in regular academic use since
      > 1970.
      > It
      > > :was still in near-perfect condition, and I am sure with care and
      > minor
      > > :maintenance it will last the owner's lifetime and be passed
      > along to
      > his
      > > :children and grandchildren, and still provide them with fine
      > microscopic
      > > :viewing and easy operation. We laid in a supply of incandescent
      > light
      > > :bulbs, and when those are used up after many years, it could surely
      > be
      > > :converted to whatever lamp is current. With gentle use, most lenses
      > will
      > > :not delaminate, gears will not break, and relatively few surfaces
      > will
      > > :show wear (which is only a badge of honor anyway). And if
      > someday you
      > > :want a different Leitz lens or part, most likely you can find it
      > and
      > > :even afford it.
      > > :
      > > :Into the foreseeable future, the same will be true for any of the
      > major
      > > :brands that populated our schools and labs in past decades. A very
      > fine
      > > :used microscope can now be had for a tiny fraction of its new
      > price,
      > and
      > > :at less cost than a lower quality new scope that will never be as
      > > :satisfying to use or last as long. Even if an older scope needs
      > to be
      > > :cleaned up and some parts replaced, the huge assortment of
      > major-brand
      > > :used microscope accessories, parts, and pieces appears to only be
      > > :getting greater, cheaper, and more accessible with time (and not
      > just
      > on
      > > :eBay but also from dealers). I foresee no end to this in my
      > lifetime,
      > > :and I plan to be using my scopes another 40 years, at least! But
      > -- I
      > > :have an Olympus BH-2 and a Wild M5, both models high in quality,
      > made
      > in
      > > :large numbers, and then surplussed by many (not all) of their
      > original
      > > :company owners. What might be the long term prospects for smaller
      > volume
      > > :brands?
      > > :
      > > :People new to microscopy often don't realize that this situation is
      > > :quite different from many other hobbies that need technical
      > instruments.
      > > :So we will need to repeat the same advice, and what a great time it

    • Gordon Couger
      Message 56 of 56 , Apr 28, 2008
        Thanks Greg,

        Look atL
        http://www.couger.com/microscope/links/gcnewbuy.html and
        http://www.science-info.net/pages/JGMcHone/UsedMicroscopesfortheAmateur.html

        To see if that suits you. I need to reorganize the mess of web pages I have they are
        scattered over too many place and pages.

        Thanks
        Gordon