"Second tier" brands (was: Advice on buying a microscope)

  • germpore
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 25, 2008
      Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...> wrote:

      "Thanks for the terrific 'web-resource: buyersguide content ' you have
      shared with all, 'germpore'. Sorry to say I am trueliy puzzled why
      you broadly state in your content:..'Reichert a 'second tier
      microscope' product category'. I question the correctness of this:
      'second tier status (ie.,quality of the instruments, systems varied
      capabilities, systems design/function solutions, field durability of
      various types of scopes) classification' you put Reichert /Austria,
      Reichert/Wein??, etc. . Anyway, thank you for your work, and great to
      see your Zeiis microscope. charlie guevara,NJ,US"

      Yeah, I might have been incorrect about this – basically, what I've
      heard described as the "best" brands of scopes were the Big 4
      companies, plus Wild, which was as good or better than anything the
      other companies were manufacturing at the time. Where it gets even
      more complicated (and I just learned about this grom a Leica sales guy
      yesterday) is that what is now Leica was not just Leitz, but several
      other companies, including Reichert and Wild, held by a common holding
      company. Later they were all merged together as Leica, though if I'm
      not mistaken, the microscope company is now separate from the camera
      company.

      Another thing with that is that if you go back a few years, the
      quality of the "Big 4" was not always the same. If I'm not mistaken,
      in the early '70s, Zeiss and Wild really were the best, followed by
      Leitz, then Nikon, then Olympus. In the 70s and 80s, the other
      companies caught up, and now the different major brands are
      practically identical in terms of quality, with labs mainly buying on
      price, support, and perhaps previous exposure to certain brand.

      As for other older and not-so-old brands, I'm less sure who I'm
      maligning by referring to them as "second tier". I refer to AO that
      way, even though I know a lot of people love AO scopes, but I've never
      heard of 1970s AO scopes being put in the same league with, say, Zeiss
      scopes from the time. Similarly Lomo and even Zeiss Jena all have
      their fans. I know next to nothing about Vickers, except that I
      occasionally hear people say good things about it.

      Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject – maybe I'll add an
      addendum to my blog post about this.
    • Gordon Couger
      Message 56 of 56 , Apr 28, 2008
        Thanks Greg,

        Look atL
        http://www.couger.com/microscope/links/gcnewbuy.html and
        http://www.science-info.net/pages/JGMcHone/UsedMicroscopesfortheAmateur.html

        To see if that suits you. I need to reorganize the mess of web pages I have they are
        scattered over too many place and pages.

        Thanks
        Gordon