Re: Compatibility Zeiss/Zeiss Jena parts

  • leitzscope
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hi Javier

      If you are using the condensers in their original form they won't
      mechanically 'fit'.

      Zeiss 'Standards' and the Photomicroscope series have a 'snap in'
      circular dovetail fitting. The Photomicroscope series also have the
      whole condenser assembly mounted in a 'quick release' fitting.

      The earlier Zeiss Jena microscope condensers had the cylindrical
      barrel mounting type with some better models also having quick
      release fittings for the whole assembly as well. I have not found any
      of these fittings interchangeable between the makes.

      If you can make adapters there is no reason why Jena condensers
      shouldn't work on Zeiss West microscopes, but this would probably
      involve machining parts. The Jena optical quality is at least as good
      as the Zeiss West kit.

      Ray
    • germpore
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
        Javier M. Rico <javiermrico74@...> wrote:

        > I would like to know if I can use Zeiss Jena accesories such as a
        > phase contrast set with a Zeiss Standard.

        Coincidentally, I just wrote a blog article about this topic here
        <http://germpore.blogspot.com/2008/04/tale-of-two-zeisss.html> . I had
        been led to believe that there was total compatibility between Zeiss
        Jena components and Zeiss West Germany ones, and that the two companies
        used to directly compete in the Zeiss components market, however,
        reading the post about condensers, I guess I was wrong to say all parts
        are compatible.

        I know objectives are compatible, and the phase ring sizes completely
        match.

        One of the posts in this thread states that Zeiss Jena are as high of
        quality as comparable Zeiss West Germany lenses. Is that the consensus?
        Is this only the case for very old lenses, or did this stay true through
        the 1970s-1980s?

        Peter