Re: [Microscope] Greetings! and questions re: zeiss universal

  • RONALD LISK
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Doug,
      Not sure from your posting what you've got in addition to the basic stand. 10x KPL W seems the usual choice. However, my Universal came with Nikon 8x Bi HKW oculars. This may have been because the stand was equipped with an Optovar the lowest magnification change of which was 1.25 giving 10x with the eyepieces.The Nikon are very effective. However I don't have Zeiss eyepieces for comparison, only Leitz 10X Periplan which the Nikon are certainly as good as.
      It certainly is a great modular microscope.
      Best wishes,
      Ron.

      douglasmcknight <douglasmcknight@...> wrote: Greetings All!

      I've been lurking for a while, but I'd now like to tap the wisdom of
      the group and see what your opinions are on a couple of issues.

      I've got a zeiss universal stand that I picked up recently on E-bay.
      This is for basement hobby/educational purposes.

      I chose the universal because I've used these scopes in the past at
      work, and I like the thought that I can, in due course, configure it to
      do pretty much whatever I want. So here's where I'm looking for
      opinions. I'd like to set up for both transmission and reflection.

      1. the course focus is a little stiff. Is it within the skills of your
      average basement scientist to dismantle, clean & relub, etc, or are
      there pitfalls that make this best left to the professionals.

      2. I don't have any illuminators yet. Do people have opinions on
      whether I should be looking at getting a fiber illuminator and making
      or buying appropriate adapters? What are the upsides and downsides of
      an approach like this.

      3. eyepieces. I was reckoning on trying to buy some zeiss KPL W 10x
      eyepieces, because they seem to be what frequently is used on these
      scopes. Are there any alternatives that I shoudl consider?

      Any thoughts are appreciated.
      regards
      Doug