Re: [Microscope] zeiss ID and question

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      /blakeashley7 wrote:/

      > /Greetings,
      >
      > I'm new to the group.
      >
      > I finally got a microscope. Been wanting one for a long time. Now I
      > would like to find out more about what I have.
      >
      > It looks almost exactly like the photo posted by tormodtorgersen but it
      > is stamped "Carl Zeiss Germany". I would appreciate any opinions on
      > what when where and did I get a pretty good one?
      >
      > It seems to give very nice images even though I have not cleaned the
      > optics at all. The only problem is that all the adjustments are very
      > tight - apparently from hardened grease. I think I will need to
      > disassemble and clean it. Any advice on how I can best do that without
      > ruining it would be appreciated.
      >
      > Now for the exciting bit. Right out of the box, I set it up, took a
      > drop of water from my backyard pond, and looked at it at 80x. As soon
      > as I brought it into focus - paramecium!!/ /! And diatoms. And a bunch
      > of other things that I haven't identified yet. A wonderland. Very
      > exciting for me. I instantly got over any remorse I had for spending
      > that much money.
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Blake/

      Hi Blake
      We come to the group. Here are some links you should find helpful.

      http://www.molecularexpressions.com/primer/index.html
      http://www.couger.com/microscope/links/gclinks.html

      With out a picture of your scope it is hard to tell when and what it is.
      I think Tom's is a GFL. there are a lot of scopes that look a lot like
      that. It is in a nice neighborhoods.
      If the focus is stiff there is brake on the left side of the scope with
      the stage closest to you. It has 4 hole in it for a special wrench.
      Please don't use vice grips without heavy leather jaw liners to get it
      loose. With the stage facing you the brake gets looser when the top of
      the brake knob is turned closer to you. Grasping the brake and the
      course focus will release the brake if it isn't on too tight. If its on
      too tight thick saddle leather or at lest good boot leather over it to
      protect it from the jaws of the tools you use. If you don't have a feel
      for what the tools you have do when they slip practice on a piece of
      junk for a while until you do. I can take an hammer and soft nosed pus
      and loosen one up with out leaving a mark. But I have a lot of
      experience using a hammer on large nuts down to harding tools made of
      bailing wire just enough they would work a chip extractors and not bend.
      If I work hardened them too much the bailing wire that is a good source
      of medium carbon steel would break in use or split under the hammer. It
      took about 20 minutes to make one tool that was only a piece of wire
      with slight angel on the end and cold worked from round to 40% its
      thickness and 60% its width in some places. It wasn't flat it has
      reinforcing thickness on part of the back and it was all done with 6 oz
      ball peen hammer.

      The point I am trying to make is only you know you well you can use the
      tools that you have. It not the tools that make the workman. The workman
      may have to make tool to work but knowing what he need to make is the
      sign he probably is a good workman.

      We offer advice to people we have no Idea of the their ability. We have
      member that make their one parts on laths that the built and we have
      member that don understand where the slide goes. Be patient with the
      last guy we all stood in his shoes once maybe one of us will make a tool
      that makes a tool we use on a microscope. Or be in the enviable position
      of having our wives ask us to get on for them.

      We try to be friendly and helpful here so ask away he doors are open.

      welcome again
      Gordon
      > __._,_._
    • blakeashley7
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        Dan,

        Do you use methyl cellulose or something to slow down the protozoans
        you photograph?

        Blake

        --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Holloway <danrx12000@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Blake,
        > It is a wonderland! Wait until you explore darkfield and
        oblique illumination and someday maybe phase contrast and more.
        Check out my website and see what you can photograph and post to
        other interested members. My site is here:
        http://www.hollosenso.com/
        > I love pond water, it has a lifetime of experiences. The first
        four photos are of something I am trying to identify. Scroll down and
        watch a paramecium expell waste.

      • Daniel Holloway
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
          Yes I do Blake,
          But mostly I make vaseline slides that keep for a long time. I can revisit these slides over and over and discover new things. I have found that if you use methylcellulose the organisms will perish much faster than if you don't. If you have a good camera that can take 640x480 images, you can video the organism and then using ImageJ to save the video as sequential images. Then each image can be examined and corrected with software. You would be surprised at the number of good to excellent stills you can obtain from a video.

          wrote:

          > Hi Blake,

          > It is a wonderland! Wait until you explore darkfield and

          oblique illumination and someday maybe phase contrast and more.

          Check out my website and see what you can photograph and post to

          other interested members. My site is here:

          http://www.hollosen so.com/

          > I love pond water, it has a lifetime of experiences. The first

          four photos are of something I am trying to identify. Scroll down and

          watch a paramecium expell waste.

          > Dan

          <!--

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
            Are there camera adaptors available for the scope I bought?