New to Microscope hobby

  • searcher@netwalk.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hi,

      I've developed an interest in exploring the smaller universe around me and
      would like to know what kind of microscope others have found to be the best for
      this hobby?

      Joe in Columbus,
      Ohio
    • Gordon Couger
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          Hi Joe and Happy New Millenium!

          Well, it is hard to reccomend a certain brand or model microscope. It
          depends much on your experience, microscopy skills, techniques and the
          objects you`d like to examine. Have you worked with microscope before?

          Vlado in cold Sofia (+1.5C today & snow)
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            Hi Joe,
            I'm sure you'll receive other replies to your question but in my opinion,
            buy as much quality as you can afford. Assuming you're interested in a
            compound binocular scope, I'd concentrate on something with 10x eyepieces
            and objectives in the range of 4x, 10x and 40x. Most scopes with this combo
            also come with a 100x oil immersion which I rarely use. Built-in light
            source, condenser and x-y mechanical stage round out what I think are
            minimum requirements. Unless you have deep pockets, I would start with a
            used name brand brightfield scope such as Leitz/Leica, Zeiss, Nikon or
            Olympus. Personally, I haven't had very good luck with older AO, B&L or
            Swift. Search eBay for "microscope" and you'll turn up many listings.
            Check out the completed auctions for final prices. Also check the links
            section of our eGroups page. I suggest starting with something in the
            $300-600 range until you know you want to stick with it and get to learn
            more about what interests you. If you are like most of us, eventually you
            will want to upgrade or add attachments to allow darkfield, phase contrast
            or photomicrography.
            Welcome Aboard, Phil

            > I've developed an interest in exploring the smaller universe around me and
            > would like to know what kind of microscope others have found to be the
            best for
            > this hobby?

            > Joe in Columbus,
            > Ohio

          • Gordon Couger
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                > Well, it is hard to reccomend a certain brand or model microscope. It
                > depends much on your experience, microscopy skills, techniques and the
                > objects you`d like to examine. Have you worked with microscope before?
                > Vlado in cold Sofia (+1.5C today & snow)

                Other than a toy microscope when I was a kid, I haven't touched
                one in over 40 years. So, I'm really a novice in this area.

                Joe

                ___________________________________
                Some people come into our lives and quietly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the
                same.
              • Vladimir Vl. Zahov
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2001
                  Good day Gordon,

                  > My faviorite scope is a Normanski(sp) DIC phase scope that allows me to
                  > look at most things with out staining them. They are hard to fined used
                  > and very expensive new.

                  The observing methods that do not require staining are very useful for the
                  amateur/home microscopist, that is right.

                  > I strongly recomend buying a good used brand name scope insted of an
                  > inexpensive new scope. you get a lot more for your money and you can get
                  > most or all of you money back if you decide to sell out. I have bought
                  > serveral other brands but I have only been happy with Leitz and Zeiss.
                  > There is a difference.

                  I fully agree with you.

                  > Once they stopped painting them black the quality started to slip on some
                  > US brands.

                  Not only on US brands, similar thing happened in Europe as well. Black Zeiss
                  scopes are a lot better in some aspects than the newer gray or white models.

                  >There were cheap ones and expensive ones and on some it is hard
                  > to tell the difference. So far I haven't seen any good older scopes with
                  > plastic on them.

                  Hm! Not only older, but newer,too. Plastic is certainly not the best
                  possible material for making scopes or scope parts....

                  Vlado
                • Vladimir Vl. Zahov
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2001
                    Hi Phil and Joe,

                    > I'm sure you'll receive other replies to your question but in my
                    opinion,
                    > buy as much quality as you can afford. Assuming you're interested in a

                    Of course. That`s a wise suggestion. If your interests in microscopy get
                    deeper you may find a model that at first you thought complicated, to do a
                    good work for you.

                    > compound binocular scope, I'd concentrate on something with 10x eyepieces
                    > and objectives in the range of 4x, 10x and 40x. Most scopes with this
                    combo
                    > also come with a 100x oil immersion which I rarely use. Built-in light
                    > source, condenser and x-y mechanical stage round out what I think are
                    > minimum requirements.

                    Sure, the classic setup. :-)

                    Vlado
                  • Vladimir Vl. Zahov
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2001
                      Aha, well, you`ve seen a scope before. :-) That isn`t nothing. :-) My
                      opinion in short -- buy a good brand used scope, expensive as much as you
                      can afford. HTH.

                      Vlado
                      > Other than a toy microscope when I was a kid, I haven't touched
                      > one in over 40 years. So, I'm really a novice in this area.
                      >
                      > Joe
                    • Vladimir Vl. Zahov
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2001
                        Hi all,

                        > I would agree that buying the best used microscope that you can
                        > comfortably afford is the best solution. My preference is Leitz ,Zeiss,
                        > Reichert, Olympus and Nikon in that order. The main reason for the order
                        > is I know where to find attachments for them.

                        My preferences are:
                        1. Zeiss; 2. Reichert; 3. Leitz; 4.Olympus. Have worked with many different
                        brands of scopes and have found these top performance.

                        Vlado