Re: [Microscope] Re: MY NEW MICROSCOPE

  • Roberto Diaz
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2002
      > No i was just kidding. I have been spending the whole afternoon
      > just lookind at a live ROTIFER ' i have been amaze at the detail of
      > it. It's tail with the fork is weird.I have been reading about doing
      > a proper blood smear but will wait to study more.My pond will keep me
      > happy for a long time.All this time i have been looking at galaxies
      > light years away and only a few feet away lied a whole
      > universe.thanks BOB HART

      I bet you have been watching a rotaria (a leech like rotifer), the next
      you should do is to try darkfield (it is easy to achive at low
      magnifications which are enought for rotifers) and you will see things
      really, really, beautiful! :)

      enjoy your microscope!! you can see a drop of blood even without stains
      you will be amazed about what you have inside yourself, try to watch
      the blood alive!! :)

      Roberto

      ---
      Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@...>
    • pam hart
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2002
        Thanks robert.Are the polarizer kits any good and worth getting'Also it
        seems a mechanical stage would be worth adding.At high power or even low
        it's hard to move a slide with your fingers. THANKS BOB HART

        >From: Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@...>
        >To: Microscope@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Microscope] Re: MY NEW MICROSCOPE
        >Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:17:38 +0200 (MEST)
        >
        > > No i was just kidding. I have been spending the whole afternoon
        > > just lookind at a live ROTIFER ' i have been amaze at the detail of
        > > it. It's tail with the fork is weird.I have been reading about doing
        > > a proper blood smear but will wait to study more.My pond will keep me
        > > happy for a long time.All this time i have been looking at galaxies
        > > light years away and only a few feet away lied a whole
        > > universe.thanks BOB HART
        >
        >I bet you have been watching a rotaria (a leech like rotifer), the next
        >you should do is to try darkfield (it is easy to achive at low
        >magnifications which are enought for rotifers) and you will see things
        >really, really, beautiful! :)
        >
        >enjoy your microscope!! you can see a drop of blood even without stains
        >you will be amazed about what you have inside yourself, try to watch
        >the blood alive!! :)
        >
        >Roberto
        >
        >---
        >Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@...>

      • Bob Mertes
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2002
          You will get very good at moving the slide with your fingers but nothing beats the feel a good mechanical stage. Enjoy the new scope.

          Bob Mertes Sr.

          >seems a mechanical stage would be worth adding.At high power or even low
          >it's hard to move a slide with your fingers. THANKS BOB HART

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Gordon Couger
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2002
            You can make a pretty good polarizing kit from the small set from Edmond
            scientific or a pair of polorid sun glasses for the analyzer in the tube and
            a polarizing filter for a camera for the polarizing filter over the light
            source. Your condenser and objectives aren't likely to be strain free but it
            works pretty good. Surplus Shed has some polarizing material in 20 mm disks
            and uncut sheet and who knows what is in-between.

            Ken at t.syers@... has been selling some nice mechanical stages
            in the under $40 dollar range on ebay. A group buy might get a price cut. I
            bought one from him I like real well.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1723928666 I didn't get
            this stage but a Nikon stage. If you email Ken as to see if he has any thing
            you want. He is liquidation a truck load of stuff. The prices on some of it
            are getting pretty beat down.

            Good luck

            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2002
              I got a pretty big piece of polarizing material from a surplus store -
              more than I need - if someone out there is having trouble locating
              material let me know. If you'll send me postage money, I'll give you
              some of this until I run out. Send me an email. Also, I found colored
              filter material at a photo store - 24" square sheets, and they were
              only 6$ each! Same thing goes for this material as the polarizing
              material, if you need some, I have red, green and blue and if you
              just send me an email and promise to send me postage money I'll send
              some of this to those people who can't get it otherwise. It will be
              perfect for Rheinberg filters.

              Best regards,

              Mark

              --- In Microscope@y..., "pam hart" <buddao7@h...> wrote:
              > Thanks robert.Are the polarizer kits any good and worth
              getting'Also it
              > seems a mechanical stage would be worth adding.At high power or
              even low
              > it's hard to move a slide with your fingers. THANKS BOB HART
              >

              > >From: Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>
              > >To: Microscope@y...
              > >Subject: Re: [Microscope] Re: MY NEW MICROSCOPE
              > >Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:17:38 +0200 (MEST)
              > >
              > > > No i was just kidding. I have been spending the whole
              afternoon
              > > > just lookind at a live ROTIFER ' i have been amaze at the
              detail of
              > > > it. It's tail with the fork is weird.I have been reading about
              doing
              > > > a proper blood smear but will wait to study more.My pond will
              keep me
              > > > happy for a long time.All this time i have been looking at
              galaxies
              > > > light years away and only a few feet away lied a whole
              > > > universe.thanks BOB HART
              > >
              > >I bet you have been watching a rotaria (a leech like rotifer), the
              next
              > >you should do is to try darkfield (it is easy to achive at low
              > >magnifications which are enought for rotifers) and you will see
              things
              > >really, really, beautiful! :)
              > >
              > >enjoy your microscope!! you can see a drop of blood even without
              stains
              > >you will be amazed about what you have inside yourself, try to
              watch
              > >the blood alive!! :)
              > >
              > >Roberto
              > >
              > >---
              > >Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>

              http://mobile.msn.com
            • Larry D. Boyd
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2002
                Hi mark,

                I'd love to have some of each, I'm interested in both pol. and rheinberg. let me know what you think postage and costs would be to 98270 and I'll send it. Can you take paypal?

                Best regards,
                Larry Boyd
                I got a pretty big piece of polarizing material from a surplus store -
                more than I need - if someone out there is having trouble locating
                material let me know. If you'll send me postage money, I'll give you
                some of this until I run out. Send me an email. Also, I found colored
                filter material at a photo store - 24" square sheets, and they were
                only 6$ each! Same thing goes for this material as the polarizing
                material, if you need some, I have red, green and blue and if you
                just send me an email and promise to send me postage money I'll send
                some of this to those people who can't get it otherwise. It will be
                perfect for Rheinberg filters.

                Best regards,

                Mark

                --- In Microscope@y..., "pam hart" <buddao7@h...> wrote:
                > Thanks robert.Are the polarizer kits any good and worth
                getting'Also it
                > seems a mechanical stage would be worth adding.At high power or
                even low
                > it's hard to move a slide with your fingers. THANKS BOB HART
                >

                > >From: Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>
                > >To: Microscope@y...
                > >Subject: Re: [Microscope] Re: MY NEW MICROSCOPE
                > >Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:17:38 +0200 (MEST)
                > >
                > > > No i was just kidding. I have been spending the whole
                afternoon
                > > > just lookind at a live ROTIFER ' i have been amaze at the
                detail of
                > > > it. It's tail with the fork is weird.I have been reading about
                doing
                > > > a proper blood smear but will wait to study more.My pond will
                keep me
                > > > happy for a long time.All this time i have been looking at
                galaxies
                > > > light years away and only a few feet away lied a whole
                > > > universe.thanks BOB HART
                > >
                > >I bet you have been watching a rotaria (a leech like rotifer), the
                next
                > >you should do is to try darkfield (it is easy to achive at low
                > >magnifications which are enought for rotifers) and you will see
                things
                > >really, really, beautiful! :)
                > >
                > >enjoy your microscope!! you can see a drop of blood even without
                stains
                > >you will be amazed about what you have inside yourself, try to
                watch
                > >the blood alive!! :)
                > >
                > >Roberto
                > >
                > >---
                > >Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>

                http://mobile.msn.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • mksphoto
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2002
                  Larry (and anyone else who's in need of the filter materials),

                  Just send me an email with your "land" mail address and let me know
                  which material you need. Also, since I have this really cool circle
                  cutter, if you would like, I can cut them into circles if you want.
                  The postage is so cheap - these will fit into an envelope. Anyone
                  that wants them can just send me a Happy Microscope Day card
                  sometime - whatever. Don't worry about sending postage money (forget
                  that other email comment) - I got really lucky finding these - I'm
                  glad to share! I think these can even go to Madrid too (I wish I
                  could!).

                  Best,

                  Mark

                  --- In Microscope@y..., "Larry D. Boyd" <labldb@c...> wrote:
                  > Hi mark,
                  >
                  > I'd love to have some of each, I'm interested in both pol. and
                  rheinberg. let me know what you think postage and costs would be to
                  98270 and I'll send it. Can you take paypal?

                  > Best regards,
                  > Larry Boyd
                  MICROSCOPE")

                  > I got a pretty big piece of polarizing material from a surplus
                  store -
                  > more than I need - if someone out there is having trouble
                  locating
                  > material let me know. If you'll send me postage money, I'll give
                  you
                  > some of this until I run out. Send me an email. Also, I found
                  colored
                  > filter material at a photo store - 24" square sheets, and they
                  were
                  > only 6$ each! Same thing goes for this material as the
                  polarizing
                  > material, if you need some, I have red, green and blue and if you
                  > just send me an email and promise to send me postage money I'll
                  send
                  > some of this to those people who can't get it otherwise. It will
                  be
                  > perfect for Rheinberg filters.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > --- In Microscope@y..., "pam hart" <buddao7@h...> wrote:
                  > > Thanks robert.Are the polarizer kits any good and worth
                  > getting'Also it
                  > > seems a mechanical stage would be worth adding.At high power or
                  > even low
                  > > it's hard to move a slide with your fingers. THANKS BOB HART
                  > >

                  > > >From: Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>
                  > > >To: Microscope@y...
                  > > >Subject: Re: [Microscope] Re: MY NEW MICROSCOPE
                  > > >Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:17:38 +0200 (MEST)

                  > afternoon
                  > detail of
                  > doing
                  > keep me
                  > galaxies
                  > > >
                  > > >I bet you have been watching a rotaria (a leech like rotifer),
                  the
                  > next
                  > > >you should do is to try darkfield (it is easy to achive at low
                  > > >magnifications which are enought for rotifers) and you will
                  see
                  > things
                  > > >really, really, beautiful! :)
                  > > >
                  > > >enjoy your microscope!! you can see a drop of blood even
                  without
                  > stains
                  > > >you will be amazed about what you have inside yourself, try to
                  > watch
                  > > >the blood alive!! :)
                  > > >
                  > > >Roberto
                  > > >
                  > > >---
                  > > >Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@v...>

                  > > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device:
                  > http://mobile.msn.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                • wkelley@talstar.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2002
                    Hi Mark, please count me in on the list of people who want filter material. I'll email you with my address if you no longer have it.
                    Also, thanks for telling me about this group in the first place.
                    All the best,
                    Wallace

                    > From: "mksphoto" <mark.k.simmons@...>
                    > Date: 2002/05/02 Thu PM 07:53:02 EDT
                    > To: Microscope@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [Microscope] Re: polarizing material (was "MY NEW MICROSCOPE")
                    >
                    > Larry (and anyone else who's in need of the filter materials),
                    >
                    > Just send me an email with your "land" mail address and let me know
                    > which material you need. Also, since I have this really cool circle
                    > cutter, if you would like, I can cut them into circles if you want.
                    > The postage is so cheap - these will fit into an envelope. Anyone
                    > that wants them can just send me a Happy Microscope Day card
                    > sometime - whatever. Don't worry about sending postage money (forget
                    > that other email comment) - I got really lucky finding these - I'm
                    > glad to share! I think these can even go to Madrid too (I wish I
                    > could!).
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > --- In Microscope@y..., "Larry D. Boyd" <labldb@c...> wrote:
                    > > Hi mark,
                    > >
                    > > I'd love to have some of each, I'm interested in both pol. and
                    > rheinberg. let me know what you think postage and costs would be to
                    > 98270 and I'll send it. Can you take paypal?
                    > >
                    > > Best regards,
                    > > Larry Boyd

                  • Jay Stanley
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2002
                      Oopps..I meant Mark,
                      I'd be interested in info on your circle cutter.
                      Sorry for the confusion
                      Jay
                    • mksphoto
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                        Hi Jay,

                        The cutter that I found is made by Fiskar. They make a lot of office
                        type cutting implements like scissors and paper cutters. This cutter
                        is somewhat limited by its minimum diameter cut of 1", but the nice
                        thing is that it doesn't leave a pin hole in the center. Otherwise,
                        it's sort of like the priciple of a compass. There were some in the
                        art store that were *more* like a compass in fact and they went down
                        to 1 cm in diameter but they didn't look rugged enough to me.

                        Best regards,

                        Mark

                        --- In Microscope@y..., "Jay Stanley" <jstanley@m...> wrote:
                        > Oopps..I meant Mark,
                        > I'd be interested in info on your circle cutter.
                        > Sorry for the confusion
                        > Jay
                      • mksphoto
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                          Wallace,

                          Filters are on the way. Isn't this group fun!!! And to think, some
                          people might have stereotyped us as pocket-protector-nerd types!

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • William Carter, Ph.D.
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                            At 03:08 PM 5/3/02 +0000, Mark wrote:
                            >This cutter
                            >is somewhat limited by its minimum diameter cut of 1"...

                            I have a collection of cutters which I have used for cutting filters both
                            for my condenser, and for insertion into my objectives. They range from a
                            couple of inches down to 1/16". I purchased them at a local hobby shop.
                            They are designed for leather tooling.
                          • wkelley353
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 9, 2002
                              Hi Mark,
                              I received the filter material in the mail today. Thank you very
                              much. Now I'm off in search of a circle cutter for experiments in
                              Rheinberg Illumination and polarization.
                              Thanks again and all the best,
                              Wallace
                              <<>>

                            • Larry D. Boyd
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 20, 2002
                                Hi Mark,

                                I'm beginning to suspect Alzheimer's! I guess I did not send you my snail mail address. If you did not run out, here it is:

                                Larry Boyd
                                7511 77th Drive NE
                                Marysville, WA 98270

                                Thanks

                                Best regards,
                                Larry Boyd (I'm pretty sure)
                                Larry (and anyone else who's in need of the filter materials),

                                Just send me an email with your "land" mail address and let me know
                                which material you need. Also, since I have this really cool circle
                                cutter, if you would like, I can cut them into circles if you want.
                                The postage is so cheap - these will fit into an envelope. Anyone
                                that wants them can just send me a Happy Microscope Day card
                                sometime - whatever. Don't worry about sending postage money (forget
                                that other email comment) - I got really lucky finding these - I'm
                                glad to share! I think these can even go to Madrid too (I wish I
                                could!).

                                Best,

                                Mark

                                --- In Microscope@y..., "Larry D. Boyd" <labldb@c...> wrote:
                                > Hi mark,
                                >
                                > I'd love to have some of each, I'm interested in both pol. and
                                rheinberg. let me know what you think postage and costs would be to
                                98270 and I'll send it. Can you take paypal?

                                > Best regards,
                                > Larry Boyd

                                Service.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • lpeterso987
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 10, 2002
                                  Mark - That's very nice of you to share your polarizer and color
                                  filter purchases. I would be only too happy to send postage to you
                                  to receive these - if there are some left. Please let me know where
                                  to send it. Lauren