Do Not Respond Ergonm 500 discussion contues on net news

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 1:08 AM
      I feel I should announce that there is Egomon 5000 group on
      Yahoo where they have posted some images of diatoms and what
      appears to be images of test slide of lines that are resolved
      down 0.1 micron.

      While this microscope list is still not the place to discuss the
      if these claims are true and images are what they seem to be or
      not the discussion still goes on at the uunet news group
      sci.techniques.microscopy and Yahoo group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ergonom/ for any of you that
      were/are interested in the discussion.

      I try to limit such discussions because we have members that
      very sensitive to the number of messages they receive every day.
      For the same reason I try to limit off topic discussions,
      comments, discussion of spam, personal attacks and messages that
      don't have any information in them. Doing this without seeming
      heavy handed and causing members to not be as active they want
      to be on any discussion that they have about the many facets of
      microscopes and their use seen easier to do on this group than
      any I have ever been on. For a list that has grown to over 1200
      you are great group of guys and gals.

      I also encourage you all to monitor the UUNET group
      sci.techniques.microscopy even there in an environment of
      anarchy the discourse is almost always reasonably polite. But
      the Eronom debate goes on there today with almost no change in
      the information that was presented here months ago. Also
      Micscape http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html,

      Best Regards
      Gordon
      Gordon Couger

      I collect links on information related to light microscopes.
      http://www.couger.com/microscope/links/gclinks.html
      Please forward anything you think might be useful to others.
      Microscope Documentation is at www.science-info.org
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 6:53 AM
        Hi Charles.

        The ideal would be a flash integrated with my fiber optic illuminator. As it stands now I use the modeling light for composition and focusing. This is okay but the bulb is not that bright. If the flash was in the fiber illuminator light path I would have the best of both worlds. Make sense?

        All the best,
        Ron

        Microscope Documentation is at www.science-info.org

      • twcoffey1
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 7:14 AM
          Ron,
          I have not yet tried it but maybe you could use a
          bifurcated light guide in the reverse direction.
          Putting the flash on one leg and the illuminator
          on the other leg and using the combined end at the
          microscope.
          Ted

          Service.

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 8:12 AM
            Hi Ted,

            Opps - that email was meant for Charlie so it is out of context. Yes a bifurcated light guide can be used - the down side is the fibre optic adapter on my scope. It would have to be modified to accept the larger diameter output tip. Nevertheless I might give it a try if I can pick up a cable for a reasonable price.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1 9:40 AM
              Hi Gordon,
              Thanks for updating your list on the Ergonom discussion. I do NOT wish to
              resume the discussion on this list now, I just wanted to add a few points to
              your Email.

              1. We have added a significant reference from Erlangen and Witten/Herdecke
              Universities in Germany that did a short Expertise of the Ergonom 400 some
              time ago.
              http://www.grayfieldoptical.com/microscience/e500/expertise.pdf

              2. We have added live film showing the data tracks on the new HD-DVD (30GB)
              which will mean something to people in that industry as they will know how
              small those tracks are and what they should look like.
              http://www.grayfieldoptical.com/microscience/e500/30gbdvddivx.zip (80MB,
              DivX movie, please download, unzip and view offline).

              3. We have added recent DivX films of living blood as that subject was
              mentioned. I might add that we do NOT offer any kind of blood analysis
              service.
              http://www.grayfieldoptical.com/microscience/e500/videos.html

              4. We were legitimately asked to show pictures from the Richardson slide. We
              have now obtained such a slide (80302, without coverslip) and we will post
              the images and film obtained in about 2-3 weeks. We will do everything
              possible to make the images shown completly understandable including
              detailed technical info on how the images were made. By the way, Richardson
              also make a high power optical microscope (RTM-3) that "bends" the optical
              limits normally held to be true. I had a talk with them on the phone and
              they suffer the same distrust we often do. Their microscope performs well
              and they have already released their images of the Richardson Slide online.
              http://www.richardson-tech.com/rtmgallery.html

              We realise that many of you have been having a good laugh at our expense in
              the past, I hope you enjoyed yourselves :-). I know this is based on my not
              being able (allowed, and/or ready) to present you with all the facts you
              wanted to hear and I can accept it all sounds pretty far-fetched. We are
              used to hearing such comments, yet you are all judging us on what you take
              to be sound scientific knowledge of optics whereas we just have the
              microscopes that actually have such capabilities. We are in the process of
              getting our act together on this and will be providing more verified
              evidence during this year.

              PLEASE do NOT restart this discussion here now. Have a look at the above
              links if you like and reserve judgement and your comments until AFTER we
              have released the Richardson slide images. I think it is not too much to ask
              you all to wait those 2-3 weeks. I think that will provide a better start in
              showing evidence of what is really possible. There is little point in
              discussing anything beforehand either here or elsewhere. I thank-you for
              your patience.

              Regards

              Peter Walker
              www.grayfieldoptical.com
              P.S. Gordon, perhaps you would like to add our website to your list of
              links!

[...]

              Please forward anything you think might be useful to others. Microscope
              Documentation is at www.science-info.org
            • Gordon Couger
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1 10:51 PM
                Ron,

                Have you considered introducing the flash like this:
                http://www.couger.com/microscope/pix/flash%20optic%20cable.gif
                I have some 50 mm dia 40 mm focal length Plano Convex lens that
                look like they would do it fine Melles Geriot has some on sale
                for $13 each that should do fine. I my need a lens in from the
                flash integrating chamber to bring the flash into focus but I
                think that with a large enough flash it will work OK with out
                it. I am using and integrating chamber for the flash so I can
                easily adjust the light by blocking off part to the light entrance.

                It also give a handy spot for introducing filters. I have them
                on the wrong side of the light splitter in the drawing I cobbled
                up in a hurry form another image at Mocrpgraphia
                http://www.micrographia.com/articlz/artmicgr/flashpic/flpc0300.htm
                in the bibliography of your current Micscape piece on electronic
                flashes.

                Gordon

                Ron wrote:
                > Hi Ted,
                >
                > Opps - that email was meant for Charlie so it is out of context. Yes a bifurcated light guide can be used - the down side is the fibre optic adapter on my scope. It would have to be modified to accept the larger diameter output tip. Nevertheless I might give it a try if I can pick up a cable for a reasonable price.
                >
                > All the best,
                > Ron

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2 7:37 AM
                  Hi Gordon,

                  Excellent article! The inboard flash tube setup you made up looks ideal. However I am not yet ready to "sacrifice" my Nikon flash but that day may come.

                  Your drawing however has given me an idea that I will try, namely putting a beamsplitter between the input end of the fibre tip and the illuminator.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2 9:26 AM
                    Ron Neumeyer wrote:

                    > putting a beamsplitter between the input end of the fibre tip and
                    > the illuminator.

                    For the DIY'er, a good way of doing this is to buy unjacketed, clad
                    fibre-glass strands.

                    Take half of the bundle, say, and form into a circular shape.
                    Take the remaining part of the bundle and form into a rectangle with
                    same proportions as flash tube.

                    At the other end, mix randomly and form a circle.
                    Illuminate the circular part with halogen, place the rectangular part
                    against the flash-tube with heat-filter in between.

                    I have just made a ring illuminator this way.

                    Use heat-resistant epoxy.

                    Next time, I will make it in the garage so that glass strands do not
                    end-up in the porridge :-)

                    David
                  • Gordon Couger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2 11:25 PM
                      Ron,

                      I did not make the idea and integrating box clear. The reason
                      for using an integration box you can point any flash unit in to
                      the box and not modify it at all. All it is is box lined with
                      crumpled aluminum foil or flat white reflective paint with the
                      flash pointing in one end and the light coming out 90 degrees to
                      the axis of the flash. The box needs to be at least 3 times
                      bigger than entrance widow of the flash and the exit window just
                      large enough to let out the size of the beam. Image 6 in
                      http://www.cis.rit.edu/~jsapci/Files%20for%20Download/Publications/JIST46(4)350(2002).pdf
                      is a crude example of one.

                      There is LOTS of light loss in an integrating box but an
                      electronic flash almost always has enough.

                      Gordon