Re: aspheric or aplanatic? Zeiss Pancratic

  • David Evans
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "rvanwezel" <renevanwezel@h...>
      wrote:

      > Zeiss Jena did make a nice pancratic illuminator, as far as I can
      > make out with the 1.4 aplanatic/aspheric top. It's NA was
      continuably
      > variable, but with the whole lens opening for the condenser,
      whatever
      > objective. With a central stop placed in there, the zoom system
      would
      > make this function like the Heine condenser, usable for every
      > objective and also phase. Pity they don't make things like that
      > anymore. I wonder whether it would be possible to use a
      photographic
      > zoom lens to make a lamp collector for a pancratic condenser.
      Anybody
      > a clue what sort of lens I would need?

      I've got the Pancratic on my Jena scope. It gives excellent results
      but it's an extra adjustment every time the objective is changed. A
      lazy guy like me often tends not to bother in routine situations and
      I then end up with substandard lighting most of the time!

      I never thought of adapting the Pancratic for phase (it does have
      the turret darkfield head on it, could this make it easier I
      wonder). Any further thoughs on the subject?

      My Priorlux has just an Abbe. But this, along with first class
      infinity objectives, makes the Prior very 'plug and play', so the
      Zeiss, with all its refinements, stands idle!

      Best wishes to all from a foggy England.

      David
    • rvanwezel
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        Oh well, make space for me in your will, I'd love the idea of getting
        the pancratic condenser... I've got a Wild aplan/achro on Zeiss
        bracket for exchange, if you're interested.

        Rene.
        --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "David Evans" <David.Evans@e...>