Searching message archive

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
      I have been trying to search the 'Microscope' archives so as not to
      put the bug on the group but when I query I seem to only be able to
      access a few of the messages. Can someone tell me how to search the
      entire archive?

      Thjanks,
      Ron
    • scopes_r_us
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi,

        The Yahoo search function is a very sore point with me.

        From what I have seen when you use the search function, it will
        search only a set number of messages (20-50 msgs?) at one time. Any
        hits that the search engine finds are shown in an one page list. To
        search further through the archives, you need to click on the "Next"
        on the lower part of the displayed page to initiate the search to
        scan the next set of messages. As far as I know, there is no way to
        have the search engine scan an entire archive at one time for what
        you are looking for.

        As the achives continue to grow, it becomes harder and harder to find
        information. I always try to find an answer to my questions before
        asking the group what might be a frequently asked question. The fact
        that one has to deal with the advertisements that are sprinkled
        through the archives only makes searching for information even worse.

        When I do post, I try to make the title of my posting descriptive of
        what the subject that will be discussed will be. Hopefully this helps
        others when they are looking for information in the future.

        SRU

        --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <sdss_1044_0125@y...> wrote:

        > I have been trying to search the 'Microscope' archives so as not to
        > put the bug on the group but when I query I seem to only be able to
        > access a few of the messages. Can someone tell me how to search the
        > entire archive?
        >
        > Thjanks,
        > Ron
      • Ronald Viers
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
          Thanks for the reply.
          After reading your post I took a look at the query
          using my protocol analyzer. I was hoping it would be
          as simple as replacing the search criteria in the
          location field with a broader range of messages.
          Appearently when Yahoo receives the initial query it
          encrypts it and sends it back as a variable name then
          reinitiates the query with a the real variables.
          It is not something I am able to spend a lot of time
          on so I will drop it.
          When I get further along with my project I will post
          what I hope will be a non-idiotic question.

          --- scopes_r_us <scopes_r_us@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > The Yahoo search function is a very sore point with
          > me.
          >
          > From what I have seen when you use the search
          > function, it will
          > search only a set number of messages (20-50 msgs?)
          > at one time. Any
          > hits that the search engine finds are shown in an
          > one page list. To
          > search further through the archives, you need to
          > click on the "Next"
          > on the lower part of the displayed page to initiate
          > the search to
          > scan the next set of messages. As far as I know,
          > there is no way to
          > have the search engine scan an entire archive at one
          > time for what
          > you are looking for.
          >
          > As the achives continue to grow, it becomes harder
          > and harder to find
          > information. I always try to find an answer to my
          > questions before
          > asking the group what might be a frequently asked
          > question. The fact
          > that one has to deal with the advertisements that
          > are sprinkled
          > through the archives only makes searching for
          > information even worse.
          >
          > When I do post, I try to make the title of my
          > posting descriptive of
          > what the subject that will be discussed will be.
          > Hopefully this helps
          > others when they are looking for information in the
          > future.
          >
          > SRU
          >

          > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Ron"
          > <sdss_1044_0125@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been trying to search the 'Microscope'
          > archives so as not to
          > > put the bug on the group but when I query I seem
          > to only be able to
          > > access a few of the messages. Can someone tell me
          > how to search the
          > > entire archive?
          > >
          > > Thjanks,
          > > Ron

          > --------------------~-->

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/CBYolB/TM

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Phil Peterson
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
            Ronald,

            The Yahoo message search function has always been weak. Last March, the
            late John Fichtl began collecting the group's individual emails from day one
            and compiling them into a searchable database. He provided CDs to group
            members who requested same. I didn't request one since I already had all
            the emails in searchable Outlook/OE format. If any member is interested in
            reviving this noble project, I can help with emails going back to March 10,
            1999.

            Regards, Phil

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
              I would hope that the only non-idiotic question would be
              the question that doesn't get asked.

              Meaning, if you have a question, ask it, it only remains
              a stupid question until you ask it, then it becomes a valid
              and important question that I'm sure members of the group
              will do their best to answer.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
                Ironically, if you could go back and check the group
                archives to find my previous questions you would see
                just how wrong you are. My aptitude in no way matches
                my curiosity- kind of the opposite of Bush. I am not
                completely useless though, there needs to be someone
                to buy the books written by scientists for laypeople.

                Thanks John,
                Ron

                --- Chiphead <chiphead@...> wrote:

                > I would hope that the only non-idiotic question
                > would be
                > the question that doesn't get asked.
                >
                > Meaning, if you have a question, ask it, it only
                > remains
                > a stupid question until you ask it, then it becomes
                > a valid
                > and important question that I'm sure members of the
                > group
                > will do their best to answer.
                >
                > John R.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CBYolB/TM

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • timchandler2001
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Please, there is no need for any gratuitous political remarks on this
                  forum. Kind of childish, really. Surely you see if it is OK for you,
                  it is OK for someone else to post an in-kind remark about another
                  candidate. And none of that has any place on this forum.

                  Tim C.

                  --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Viers <sdss_1044_0125@y...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Agreed, I apologize. It won�t happen again.

                    Brgds,
                    Ron
                    --- timchandler2001 <tchandle@...> wrote:

                    > Please, there is no need for any gratuitous
                    > political remarks on this
                    > forum. Kind of childish, really. Surely you see if
                    > it is OK for you,
                    > it is OK for someone else to post an in-kind remark
                    > about another
                    > candidate. And none of that has any place on this
                    > forum.
                    >
                    > Tim C.
                    >
                    > --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Viers
                    > <sdss_1044_0125@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Ironically, if you could go back and check the
                    > group
                    > > archives to find my previous questions you would
                    > see
                    > > just how wrong you are. My aptitude in no way
                    > matches
                    > > my curiosity- kind of the opposite of Bush. I am
                    > not
                    > > completely useless though, there needs to be
                    > someone
                    > > to buy the books written by scientists for
                    > laypeople.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks John,
                    > > Ron
                    > >

                    > > --- Chiphead <chiphead@s...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > I would hope that the only non-idiotic question
                    > > > would be
                    > > > the question that doesn't get asked.
                    > > >
                    > > > Meaning, if you have a question, ask it, it only
                    > > > remains
                    > > > a stupid question until you ask it, then it
                    > becomes
                    > > > a valid
                    > > > and important question that I'm sure members of
                    > the
                    > > > group
                    > > > will do their best to answer.
                    > > >
                    > > > John R.

                  • homecray
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
                      --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <sdss_1044_0125@y...> wrote:

                      > I have been trying to search the 'Microscope' archives so as not to
                      > put the bug on the group but when I query I seem to only be able to
                      > access a few of the messages. Can someone tell me how to search
                      the
                      > entire archive?
                      >
                      > Thjanks,
                      > Ron

                      Do you know PG Offline?

                      See http://www.personalgroupware.com/

                      --TK
                    • J. Forster
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2004
                        homecray wrote:

                        > Do you know PG Offline?
                        >
                        > See http://www.personalgroupware.com/
                        >
                        > --TK

                        Could this be set up by someone with a dummy subscription to the group, and then
                        the user name and password be published, so it would provide a search function
                        accessible to all?

                        Just a thought,
                        -John
                      • Gordon Couger
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 2004
                          If someone wanted to down load the messages and find a way to search
                          them in Linux I would furnish the space. I have a crude script that
                          uses grep that much better than Yahoo's but it requires some major
                          modification of the data so each message is all on one line.

                          I can be some help but that is really over my head to reformat the
                          file.

                          But if someone has the skills and is willing to do it I will donate
                          space.

                          : Could this be set up by someone with a dummy subscription to the
                          group, and then
                          : the user name and password be published, so it would provide a
                          search function
                          : accessible to all?
                          :
                          : Just a thought,
                          : -John
                          :
                          :
                          :
                          : ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                          Sponsor --------------------~-->
                          : Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
                          : Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
                          : http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CBYolB/TM
                          : ------------------------------------------------------------------
                          --~->
                          :
                          :
                          : Yahoo! Groups Links
                          :
                          :
                          :
                          :
                          :
                          :
                          :
                        • Frank Jahnke
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
                            The standard way to do this would be to pipe the output from grep
                            through awk, which is a simple interpreter that does really well for
                            text formatting. If "prettiness" of output is the only deal, contact me
                            off-line, and let's see if I can help.

                            Frank

                          • evildrome_boozerama
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                              Hi All,

                              My name is Wilson Logan & I am the creator of PG Offline.

                              I've downloaded the Microscope messages & made them available as an
                              archive here:

                              http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/microscope.zip 16Mb

                              My application is here:

                              http://www.pgoffline.com/groupmanager/PGOffline-2-5-021.exe 5.7Mb

                              Homepage : http://www.pgoffline.com/
                              Screenshots : http://www.pgoffline.com/screen-shots.htm
                              How to : http://www.pgoffline.com/info.htm
                              User Forum : http://www.pgoffline.com/forum
                              Other archives : http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm

                              30 day trial, after that $19.95. Decide you don't like it? Chuck it
                              & keep the archives (MS Access format).

                              Cheers,

                              Wilson.
                            • psneeley2003
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2004
                                Works well. Reminds me of my old, old Compuserve days (offline
                                browse and download of new messages, etc. -- trying to conserve
                                online minutes to keep under the low limit)

                                Anyway, it does allow searching of the messages and seems to do very
                                well. I enjoyed doing some searches I've always wanted to do and
                                reading the results.

                                Thanks!

                                Steve

                                --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "evildrome_boozerama"
                                <wilson.logan@n...> wrote:

                                > Hi All,
                                >
                                > My name is Wilson Logan & I am the creator of PG Offline.
                                >
                                > I've downloaded the Microscope messages & made them available as
                                an
                                > archive here:<<
                              • Wilson Logan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 9, 2004
                                  Hi Steve,

                                  One of the things I find handiest is to do a sort by subject, which
                                  lets me select a whole thread and read it in digest mode e.g.

                                  http://www.pgoffline.com/show-selection.jpg

                                  The digest can be cut & pasted to a word document

                                  http://www.pgoffline.com/search-archive.doc

                                  People use this feature to make group FAQ’s. The Stats feature is also
                                  quite interesting. Simple stats are available on the main menu as a
                                  button
                                  (Gordon Cougar is the top poster having made 1464 posts since Sun March
                                  28th, 1999) & detailed group stats can be started from View →
                                  Statistics Builder.

                                  http://www.pgoffline.com/images/statistics-builder.jpg

                                  Cheers,

                                  Wilson.