Basic Culturing

  • Phil Peterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
      To All,
      I was recently contacted asking for help in culturing protozoa. This
      was my reply.
      My experience in culturing protozoa is very basic and crude but may help
      you get started. As in culturing any organism, you must provide an
      environment rich in nutrients. This can be as simple as preparing a
      solution by boiling a few pinches of rice, grain or hay in a liter of water.
      Let that brew sit uncovered for a few days and bacteria will soon populate
      the mixture (you can tell by the smell). Inoculate the mixture with a
      sample of water from any desired source (pond, river, etc.). In a few days,
      the culture should be populated by various micro-organisms. You can
      eventually develop a pure culture of a specific protozoa by isolating the
      beast on a microscope slide and introducing it into a sterile jar of
      nutrient.
      You may wish to start by simply placing a handful of dry hay or grass in a
      jar full of water. There are usually encysted protozoa present on all
      outdoor grasses. The hay or grass will decompose, bacteria will develop and
      protozoa will thrive. If you add some pond water, a greater variety of
      protozoa and algae will usually develop.
      Cheers, Phil
    • interlofer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
        Phil...

        ...it works every time in my experience (over 40 years).

        ....ALSO, I have a favorite puddle to seek out whenever it rains -
        full of leaves and grasses. Live animalcules are present after just a
        few hours. Scoop vegetation and a little dirt along with water.

        ...PLUS, the lawn litter, preferably from an old puddle, into
        distilled water ( tap water must sit ~24hrs to dechlorinate, etc)
        works just fine. I have a closed plastic Folgers coffee container 1/3
        filled from MY PUDDLE 2 months ago that is still viable - profusely so.

        'lofer
      • A. S. St Leger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
          Hi,

          These are well tried methods of obtaining cultures of protozoans.
          Organisms arising from water covered hay were known as "infusoria". I'm
          not sure whether that term arose in the context of the belief in
          spontaneous generation of life. As for sterile water I find it
          sufficient to boil tap water and let it cool; the presumption is that
          chlorine additives will have boiled off.

          Selwyn

          --- In Microscope@yahoogroups.com, "interlofer" <ugottabkiddinme@...>