More pictures posted

  • Dr E D F Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I've posted a few more pictures to:

      http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/edfw/flag/index3.htm

      There are amoebae, flagellates, bacteria (of course) and many stages of amoeba encystment. Some heavily encapsulated bacteria are also quite interesting. In one case (several pictures) they are 'negatively stained' by virtue of the fact that they are packed tightly with another species which has hardly any capsule to speak of; these unencapsulated forms fill the gaps making the others stand out. In other pictures, where there are no intruding bacteria the capsules are also visible, but here the rough (crenulated) surface is not visible because they are packed so tight.

      The pictures taken with flash can easily be distinguished from the normally exposed frames since images of the bacteria (very motile) are sharper. As usual, putting captions to these pictures would take days so I'll answer any questions if anyone is interested enough to ask them. In passing I might mention that these are not 'pretty' pictures, but they provide quite a bit of information.

      Some images are revered. This improves the contrast of the granular protoplasm in the Protist cells.

      Someone was talking about Lemna. I put a handful of plants (L minor) into our garden pond about two weeks ago, they soon covered the surface completely and I'm fishing them out for transfer to our big forest pond -- a wild duck breeding place. I carried half a bucket-full down yesterday. They grow fast! Of course half a cup of liquid fertiliser helped a lot!

      Don
      Dr E D F Williams
      http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
      Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery
      See Extra Pages 'The Cement Company from HELL!'
      Updated: August 15, 2003

      "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away,
      Now it looks as though they're here to stay.
      Oh, I believe in yesterday."
      Lennon/MacCartney