Re: [Microscope] New photo.

  • Roberto Diaz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      > You can't find any algae?! Sounds like another pond is in order.
      > They are the easiest things to image as they are high contrast
      > and for the most part are stationary or slow moving. Have you tried
      > sediment from the bottom at the shore?

      How do you exactly collect your alagae? just take a jar and take the water
      from the pond and the you put a drop of this water under your
      microscope? do you do something else?

      I only have found a couple of algae, one from a real pond but this algae
      was tiny (at 100X oil objective it was still small) and another one but in
      a very few amounts..

      Saludos

      Roberto
    • frfez
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
        > How do you exactly collect your alagae? just take a jar and take
        the water
        > from the pond and the you put a drop of this water under your
        > microscope? do you do something else?
        >
        > I only have found a couple of algae, one from a real pond but this
        algae
        > was tiny (at 100X oil objective it was still small) and another one
        but in
        > a very few amounts..
        >
        > Saludos
        >
        > Roberto

        That's pretty much it. In the late winter there is little new plant
        growth for algae to attach itself to or hang out in. Decaying
        sediment at the bottom always has a multitude of specimens at this
        time of year. I have yet to sample a natural body of water that
        didn't yield generous numbers of one or two predominant types. Of
        course I've never collected samples from Spain, but did flunk Spanish
        One twice in high school. Honestly Roberto, it's beyond me why your
        samples would be so barren of algae. Maybe if you get real close to
        the water and make algae noises....... :)

        Hey just keep trying. Someday you'll look at a slide and find it
        thriving with little glass critters plowing into each other like
        crewless submarines of endless shapes and sizes on a mission to gorge
        themselves with multicolored microbes.

        Good Luck
        Frez
      • desmid2
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
          Roberto,

          Collecting open water will not yiled much in the way of algae. You
          might get lucky and get some plankton. Filamentous algae normally
          float on the water surface if they are blooming (summer) or attached
          to rocks and submerged branches etc. Scraping the branch or rock will
          yield some nice stuff. If you are looking for single celled algae
          such as desmids then these can be taken by sweeping a fine plankton
          net through submerged plants. If you don't have a net then cupping
          your hand and grasping the plant stems between your 2 middle fingers
          and slowly moving up through the water will dislodge a plentiful
          supply or plants and small animals. Failing this grasping some
          submerged plants and squeezing them over an open jar will result in a
          plentiful supply.

          Mike Dingley
          http://www.desmids.info