Re: [Microscope] Re: Classifying Filamentous Algae

  • Frez
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
      > Good pics, Frez. Unknown 03 could be Mougeotia (affectionately
      > referred to as 'elephant snot' (very slimy) by some, it is difficult
      > to say. I agree on the Ulothrix clasification, but the Cladophora I
      > am unsure about. Did you see periphyses (unpigmented tapering
      > branches) on any of the filaments? Cladophora loves nutrient
      > enrichment.

      It looks like I might have been faked out by uknown 3. Some more
      study and pics point to it being the same as the Cladophora, but at
      a stage in its reproduction cycle. There are some more pics in the
      folder to reveal this and some showing a one cell taper and another
      showing a bud. This is the link that made me think it is Cladophora.

      http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/webb/BOT311/Chlorophyta/Chlorophyta-100
      .htm

      The pic at the link shows a more elongated cell, but it was as close as
      I could could get on the net.

      I promise to order a book soon Phil. <g>

      Frez