Intel QX3 Microscope

  • Phil Peterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 1999
      Being a digital photomicrography freak, I couldn't pass up this system for
      $99.00. The QX3 is rated as one of the top 10 "must have" toys this
      Christmas. If you're considering it for yourself - save your money. It
      could however, make a nice gift for that special child. My biggest concern
      is that just like cheap light microscopes, a child will either be totally
      turned off by the results or seek something better. I invite you to judge
      the results of a crude comparison between the QX3 and a real "light"
      microscope.

      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/8053/compics.htm

      Cheers, Phil
    • Gordon Couger
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 1999
        That looks about like the results I got with a cheap CCD camera. I did a
        little better
        because I used better optics. You might try putting a blue or green filter
        to take some
        of the red out of the light source.

        It looks like you the camera is getting about 4 bits of resolution and the
        red is swamp out everything else.

        Gordon

        Gordon Couger gcouger@...

        Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
        405 624-2855 GMT -6:00 www.couger.com/gcouger
        > Being a digital photomicrography freak, I couldn't pass up this system
        for
        > $99.00. The QX3 is rated as one of the top 10 "must have" toys this
        > Christmas. If you're considering it for yourself - save your money. It
        > could however, make a nice gift for that special child. My biggest
        concern
        > is that just like cheap light microscopes, a child will either be totally
        > turned off by the results or seek something better. I invite you to judge
        > the results of a crude comparison between the QX3 and a real "light"
        > microscope.
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/8053/compics.htm
        >
        > Cheers, Phil

      • Phil Peterson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
          Gordon,
          Yes, a little filtration might improve the results. I don't know if it's
          worth the effort but I'll play around with it. I found another review of
          the QX3 which provides much better color rendition, although the author used
          his own reflective light source. And the sample pics are more in the realm
          of macro rather than micro.
          http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artdec99/rbqx3.html
          Cheers, Phil

          > Being a digital photomicrography freak, I couldn't pass up this system
          for
          > $99.00. The QX3 is rated as one of the top 10 "must have" toys this
          > Christmas. If you're considering it for yourself - save your money. It
          > could however, make a nice gift for that special child. My biggest
          concern
          > is that just like cheap light microscopes, a child will either be totally
          > turned off by the results or seek something better. I invite you to judge
          > the results of a crude comparison between the QX3 and a real "light"
          > microscope.
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/8053/compics.htm
          >
          > Cheers, Phil

        • Gordon Couger
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
            Do a histogram on the image before you enhance it and it will show you what
            filters you need. From the looks of the histogram of your image I wonder if
            there is a infra read blocking filter in front of the chip.