First image

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 1999
      http://www.couger.com/gcouger/images/onion.jpg
      is the first image off my Leitz Triocular with darkfield
      condenser using a 10x objective and 15 x ocular.

      The subject is a slice of onion in thick sugar syrup undergoing
      dehydration

      The camera was a monochrome RCA with good resolution digitized
      with a Snappy set for single frame capture. I had too much
      vibration for multi image enhancement. I caught a little more the
      4 bits of brightness and the only digital enhancement is a very
      little noise added to obscure some banding in the dark areas.

      I am amazed at the detail that darkfield allows you to see.

      I had to switch the video feed from the monitor to the snappy because
      I did not have enough adapters. The equipment I have has a mixture of
      UHF, BNC and RCA connectors. And when I find what I think is the
      right adapter it is the wrong sex.

      Thanks to all that helped on this.
      Gordon
    • Phil Peterson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 1999
        Gordon,
        Nice tonal quality and quite good resolution. Have you captured anything in brightfield yet? If so, please post an example.
        Cheers, Phil

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 1999
          Not yet Phil. I don't have a bright field condenser for that
          scope. I may make an adapter plate to make the Leitz head
          fit the Brinkman to have a good bright field. I need to get light
          control first. I should be doing more tonight.

          I was really supprized at the detail on surface of the cell. If I can
          get the vibration under control I can add images for better resolution
          and use multi color filter for color and other effects.

          Something is messing with the gain in the camera. The highlights should
          have been blown away but there is detail in them.The shadows were
          stretched even in a color depth of 141.

          I should be able to double the color depth to 256 and increase the
          resolution by a factor of four. The resolution increase is software that
          uses multiple images. I am not sure how well that will work.

          I have been playing Scion image based on NIH for Macintosh it relay makes
          this look good in a false color. www.scioncorp.com But I am having trouble
          getting it to a JPG the 1.4 meg files don't transfer well. It is share ware or
          public domain I am not sure. It is not bug free but it does most of the things
          you need to do to an image and does measurement.

          Gordon

          Gordon Couger gcouger@...

          Stillwater, OK
          405 624-2855 GMT -6:00 www.couger.com/gcouger

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 1999
            ] First image

            Gordon,
            Nice tonal quality and quite good resolution. Have you captured anything in brightfield yet? If so, please post an example.
            Cheers, Phil

            Thanks for the complement. I was going to work with new images but
            I got to playing with Scion Image the Windows port of NIH for Mac's.

            The result is http://www.couger.com/microscope/onionE.jpg

            You can see all my digital microscope images in
            http://www.couger.com/microscope/

            Snow was my first attempt using snow/ice flakes caught
            on finger nail polish using a good Microscope and a
            Sony camera. The ones labeled ice are the same slides
            using an open university scope and cheap Casio camera.
            The slide is starting to get beat up some.

            The ones labeled cotton are done with the OU and Casio.
            Not good at all and the Salt is crystallized salt with the
            same system.

            The Scion Image is a lot better than stuff we were using
            for high dollar research 6 years ago. And the price is
            right.