Out in the open

  • Phil Peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 1999
      Welcome new members. I just wanted to bring an offline discussion out
      into the sunshine of our group so everybody is able to participate.
      The subject is Digital Photomicroscopy. Yes, I know, it's not everybody's
      cup of tea and quite frankly, I'm thinking of re-acquiring a good 35mm SLR
      as a backup image collector. I would really like to buy the new Kodak/Nikon
      Digital SLR and solve all my problems, but after searching for spare change
      under the sofa cushions, I came up a bit short of the $29,000(USD) purchase
      price.
      I use two adapters on my fixed-lens Nikon CP950 to mate it to the eyepiece
      of the microscope. A 28mm to T-mount adapter and the T-mount adapter
      itself. The eyepiece must be kept in place. That of course introduces
      extra glass into the equation and still produces some vignetting. Tom
      emailed me with a source for a better coupler using a Sony Mavica digicam
      and suggested this coupler could possibly be made available for Nikons as
      well. Perhaps he will share his info with the group. Mark emailed me with
      some pics of his homemade, PVC coupler for his Nikon. I don't recall if
      vignetting was a problem, but perhaps he'll repost his info too.
      I'm a bit challenged when it comes to optics, but it seems I got best
      results when the fixed lens of the Nikon was resting against the
      microscope's eyepiece (no T-mount). Not an ideal solution, but the image
      fills the frame.
      If anybody has a suggestion, jump right in! Living in Southeast Virginia,
      getting steadily beat up by Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dennis has kept me
      housebound for several days. I have plenty of time to try any suggestions.
      Regards, Phil