Re: [MN] Newby with question

  • Heather Twist
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      I made something like that once and it worked out fine.

      Eggs are generally sterile inside ... no germs at all.
      The germs are on the shell. Commercial eggs are usually
      sterilized with ultraviolet light, and outdoor eggs are sterilized
      by the sun. But you can spray them with vinegar or weak
      bleach or peroxide or hot water before you open them, if it's a concern.

      One out of 30,000 eggs has some bacteria that get into
      the shell before the egg is laid. So just in case, I make
      sure the dough has a bit of kimchi or kraut juice, or kefir
      juice, and a little salt. The lactobacilli will outnumber
      the baddies after a day. Salmonella (the baddie in chicken
      eggs) doesn't like acid.

      Egg yolks add an amazing flavor to about anything, plus
      the lecithin changes the texture. Ice cream made with
      about 8 egg yolks is great.

      --
      Heather Twist
      www.EatingOffTheFoodGrid.com