How do you make wine Vinegar and what are my mother options?

  • edgettkarin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 1936
      I was wondering if it's easy to cultivate your wn mother for making red and/or white wine vinegar from the wine itself, or can I use a kombucha mother? Also is there a best recipe anyone can recommend?
    • mr.vinegar
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 1936
        Red/White wines purchased from retailers usualy have an "average" alcohol/volume value of 11%-12%. Some go as high as 14%. This value of alcohol is too great for the acetobacter to thrive in. If you allow one of these wines to sit and wait for the vinegar transformation it will take quite some time, usually many months. If it eventually does take hold, your acetic acid value would be very high indeed such as 10% or greater. Tasting this type of vinegar would take your breath away.

        To make your own red/white vinegar and to allow it to ferment, it is best to make your own wine and cease the fermentation at approximately 8% alcohol/volume. You can heat the wine on the stove to to 56 degrees Centigrade to kill the yeast and then store the wine in sealed jars for addition to your vinegar ferment.

        It's quite easy to get a mother started on your wine. First, you must make an environment that is suited for the acetobacter. I suggest using a small wide mouth plastic margarine or yogurt container. If you don't have your own home made wine, put a store bought wine into the container and add apple cider vinegar 2 parts to 1 wine. Take a few some small flowers from your garden or even dandy lions and put them into the mixture. cover it with a cloth but not air tight and wait. In about 2-3 weeks you should start to see the mother on the surface. You can now use this culture to start your own fermentation process. Expect fruit flies and that is a good thing because they too carry the essential acetobacter.
        Roger