Sword of LT. A.D. Waddell 5th Regiment Mich Volunteer Infantry

  • Leonard Glen Overmyer III
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2008
      I don't have anything to do with this listing but I thought I should
      pass along the info:
      eBay item:3163: Presentation Civil War Infantry Officer's
      (#300214682982)

      Item number: 300214682982

      non-regulation Civil War infantry officer's sword. The sword has an
      iron hilt with three-branch guard, rounded pommel, and down-turned
      quill ion. The grip is ray-skin wrapped with three strands of wire.
      The 32 inch fullered blade has a spear point and is decorated with
      an eagle and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" in a ribbon on the reverse and "US"
      on the obverse. The back of the blade is etched "IRON PROOF". The
      ricasso has an inlaid proof on the reverse and a marking that
      consists on an arrow in a punch mark on the obverse. The iron
      scabbard has a brass throat drag and suspension ring bands. The
      upper band has a shield engraved with the inscription: "Presented
      to / LT. A.D. Waddell / 5th Regiment Mich / Infantry / By his
      Friends at / Howell / 1864. The face of the drag is engraved with an
      eagle, shield, and floral designs. Documents with the sword indicate
      Andrew D. Waddell enlisted on 2/1/64 as a 1st Lieutenant in
      Company "I" 5th Michigan Infantry and was discharged on 6/9/64. The
      5th Michigan Infantry was assigned to the 2nd Corp of the Army of
      the Potomac. Between May 5, 1864 and June 9, 1864 the 5th Michigan
      Infantry fought in the Battle of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court
      House, North Ann River, etc....