The Official Results -- The Holland Spring Kickoff Foxhunt -- 2010

  • Michael Wolthuis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
      The Official Results -- The Holland Spring Kickoff Foxhunt -- 2010 My first fox hunt experience:

      Thank-you to everyone who made this possible in the Holland area last evening.....  My Dad (KB8ZGK) and myself (KB8ZGL) had a great time and talked about it all the way home.  Sorry we had to miss BurgerKing, but it was 2 hours to Byron Center and then up to Greenville with work today....

      We certainly learned a lot for our first time and I have my research hat on now to learn better methods.  We came prepared with the famous blue box sniffer, 2 arrow antennas, 4 hts, a Digital Scout and a scanner.

      What we quickly learned is that the Arrow has a lot of gain and while it worked great with the sniffer it was almost too strong often....  So we tried the HTs, but I have really short antennas and Dad has really long antennas.  We needed something in the middle.  That has been ordered already today.

      We ventured to the far side of the lake and we heard the FOX without an antenna on one of our HTs and we thought we were on top of them, but we were down at the beach basically and it took time to realize it came across the water....  We began second guessing if we had heard that right without the HT antenna.....  We ventured through several local parks (meeting 3 of the other teams) and ultimately determined it was across the lake with the blue box sniffer and off we headed.....  One more transmission and we had it......

      Total time was about 1.5hrs and 10 miles of travel....  We agree the train did slow progress......

      I have now begun work on some homebrew stuff to better our chances next time and we are excited for the next event!

      Thanks everyone and especially Tom – K8TB for inviting us to the event and thanks for having an open event to even non-club members.... We are not members of the Holland club at this time, but are of several others and appreciate not having to join to participate in this fun event.

      73s until next time!
      Mike Wolthuis
      kb8zgl
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
        GREAT STORY, MIKE.
        THANKS FOR PLAYING.

        There may be an other on May 18... stand by for details..

        and there WILL be one as part of the IRA Hamfest in Hudsonville
        (located about half way between GR and Holland) on the
        afternoon of June 5 - and there is no membership requirement
        for either of these either.

        ========================= James - K8JHR ===========

        On 4/21/2010 11:25 AM, Michael Wolthuis wrote:

        > My first fox hunt experience:
      • Michel
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
          Thanks for coming Mike. You helped make the hunt a lot of fun.

          You also sent me back to the books. I am trying to locate anything about a Digital Scout. Google tells me it is something for keeping baseball Stats. Can you get me on the right track?

          Mike@...
        • kb8zgl
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
            Certainly... The Digital Scout is a freq. counter from Optoelectronics with a signal strength meter on it. It controls my Icom R-10 via reactive tuning, a lot of fun if you are somewhere with a lot of security or radios. It auto tunes the scanner right to the freq it catches and you can listen! It has squelch control. I intended to use it for a near signal strength meter, but the HT actually worked just as well once we got really close.

            If you want to read more, here is the info:
            http://www.optoelectronics.com/digitalscout.htm

            Mike
            kb8zgl