The Official Results -- The Holland Spring Kickoff Foxhunt -- 2010

  • Michel
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
      – THE OFFICIAL RESULTS – The Holland Spring Kickoff Foxhunt – 2010

      What a fantastic fox hunt for a spring kickoff!

      The Holland "Spring Kickoff Foxhunt – 2010" was highlighted Tuesday night – not by who won, but by the outstanding job done by the fox team. Challenged to make the hunt fairly easy for the newcomers and somewhat challenging for the old timers, the fox team accomplished both. Our hats are off to James, K8JHR, and Chuck, AJ8W of "Team Kent" (County) for a fun evening. Everyone found the fox and had funny stories to tell afterwards at the Burger King.

      Normally for a kickoff hunt, the fox will park his van in some out-of-the-way park or down a lonely road and taunt hunters with periodic transmissions. Team Kent added three twists that made the hunt interesting, but not overly difficult.

      For the first twist, they went portable leaving their car behind and walking to their chosen site on foot. K8JHR carried the radio and antenna and AJ8W lugged the portable "car starter" battery and a book to read to the hunters during transmissions.

      The second twist was a rather unique site in a viewing section of the Kollen Park Boardwalk on Lake Macatawa. While the hunters were racing around town and getting frustrated by a train that kept blocking the way, James and Chuck were watching the sunset over the lake and feeding the ducks. They also took some time to explain ham radio to passing onlookers. (Good PR.)

      The third twist did post a slight problem. It sent most hunting teams to the other side of Lake Macatowa to Dutton Park where they found nothing but walking paths and and a strong signal coming from back across the lake. The fox team used a three element yagi antenna for their transmissions. The antenna was pointed directly toward a steel boat storage building across the lake causing hunters to be temporarily distracted.

      All hunters arrived at the park and boardwalk at about the same time, about an hour and a half into the hunt. The sun had already set over the lake. Each team made the long walk down the boardwalk and around a bend to the viewing deck only to find the foxes lounging and waiting with "we gotch-ya" looks on their faces. It was a great hunt!

      Winner of the hunt was the team of Tom and Sheila Bosscher, K8TB and K8AJ. Second place went to the team of Jim, KD8CAN, Bob, KD8HNF, and Robert, KC8USP. The next two teams of K8EMU, KB8QAP, and K8TVU finished within two-tenths of a mile behind the second place team. The team team that came the furthest to the hunt was Mike, KB8ZGL, a MSU student from Greenville and his father, KB8ZGK from Byron Center.

      This was fun. Let's do it again!
    • Michael Wolthuis
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
        The Official Results -- The Holland Spring Kickoff Foxhunt -- 2010 My first fox hunt experience:

        Thank-you to everyone who made this possible in the Holland area last evening.....  My Dad (KB8ZGK) and myself (KB8ZGL) had a great time and talked about it all the way home.  Sorry we had to miss BurgerKing, but it was 2 hours to Byron Center and then up to Greenville with work today....

        We certainly learned a lot for our first time and I have my research hat on now to learn better methods.  We came prepared with the famous blue box sniffer, 2 arrow antennas, 4 hts, a Digital Scout and a scanner.

        What we quickly learned is that the Arrow has a lot of gain and while it worked great with the sniffer it was almost too strong often....  So we tried the HTs, but I have really short antennas and Dad has really long antennas.  We needed something in the middle.  That has been ordered already today.

        We ventured to the far side of the lake and we heard the FOX without an antenna on one of our HTs and we thought we were on top of them, but we were down at the beach basically and it took time to realize it came across the water....  We began second guessing if we had heard that right without the HT antenna.....  We ventured through several local parks (meeting 3 of the other teams) and ultimately determined it was across the lake with the blue box sniffer and off we headed.....  One more transmission and we had it......

        Total time was about 1.5hrs and 10 miles of travel....  We agree the train did slow progress......

        I have now begun work on some homebrew stuff to better our chances next time and we are excited for the next event!

        Thanks everyone and especially Tom – K8TB for inviting us to the event and thanks for having an open event to even non-club members.... We are not members of the Holland club at this time, but are of several others and appreciate not having to join to participate in this fun event.

        73s until next time!
        Mike Wolthuis
        kb8zgl
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
          GREAT STORY, MIKE.
          THANKS FOR PLAYING.

          There may be an other on May 18... stand by for details..

          and there WILL be one as part of the IRA Hamfest in Hudsonville
          (located about half way between GR and Holland) on the
          afternoon of June 5 - and there is no membership requirement
          for either of these either.

          ========================= James - K8JHR ===========

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
            Thanks for coming Mike. You helped make the hunt a lot of fun.

            You also sent me back to the books. I am trying to locate anything about a Digital Scout. Google tells me it is something for keeping baseball Stats. Can you get me on the right track?

            Mike@...
          • kb8zgl
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
              Certainly... The Digital Scout is a freq. counter from Optoelectronics with a signal strength meter on it. It controls my Icom R-10 via reactive tuning, a lot of fun if you are somewhere with a lot of security or radios. It auto tunes the scanner right to the freq it catches and you can listen! It has squelch control. I intended to use it for a near signal strength meter, but the HT actually worked just as well once we got really close.

              If you want to read more, here is the info:
              http://www.optoelectronics.com/digitalscout.htm

              Mike
              kb8zgl