Fw: [WestMichiganHams] Forest cleanup, April 17

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2010
      Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:46 PM
      Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Forest cleanup, April 17

      **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
      reflectors. Thanks!**

      On Saturday, April 17, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrack ers.org will
      be sponsoring the 12th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National
      Forest area and other public lands, in northern Muskegon County and
      southern Oceana county.
      Last year, over 200 volunteers showed up with pick-up trucks and
      trailers to clean out trash and tires that gets dumped. More details
      and trash statistics at
      http://www.twotrack ers.org/events

      Last year I was approached by the coordinators of this event to help
      with communications. The organizers had discovered that cell phones and
      CBs don't do so well in the woods. That's where the "to provide a
      public service" part of amateur radio comes in.
      Being a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few
      years picking up and hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was
      approached to organize communications.
      We did such a good job last year, I was asked to do it again this year.
      I have volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net control.

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest
      area, with the tour vehicles, the coordinator( s), and photographer.
      Additional radio
      assignments may be needed.

      The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      Registration at 8AM (radio volunteers will have our own registration) ,
      volunteers sent out in the field at 9.
      Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to those
      who volunteer early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt
      printer. Hot dog lunch provided at about 1PM. After volunteers move
      into the field, ground zero will move from the CarGo
      station to where lunch will be served. After
      lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome to, other
      wise done for the day.
      An event flier can be found at
      http://www.twotrack ers.org/wp- content/uploads/ 2010/02/cleanup- flyer-2010. pdf

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M
      repeater. My contact information is in my signature. TIA.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711