Automotive GPS with waypoint numerical bearing indicator?

  • n8ntc
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2013
      Is anybody aware of a current automotive style GPS that will show the numerical bearing (not just the N-E-W-S arrows) to a stored waypoint (like the ancient but great Garmin Streetpilot III)? It makes confirming/calibrating DF bearings (to a known location) a whole lot easier.

      Thanks & 73,

      Gary
    • Mike W8DER
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2013

        Gary, If you hear of a auto aircraft type display, please let us know here on MichiganFoxHunter.com.

        However, my hand-held Garmin etrex venture HC works great as long as I am moving to get a calculated bearing.  The coarse is also displayed.  They have a neat aircraft instrument-type display.  It is really intended for hikers, but works great in the car for fox hunts.

        Another variation if you are looking just a plotted display is the GoogleHunt program.  (ref:http://www.silcom.com/~pelican2/PicoDopp/PICODOPP.htm#GH)  With an external GPS receiver, it will display your position on a laptop using Google Earth and the GoogleHunt control screen.  If you select a bearing and press the button, it plots a bearing on the Google Map.  No internet connection in the car? No problem, the program will work of stored map information.  (Only use the free stuff from the reference above.)

        Please let us know what you find