An 80 meter fox hunting 2W transmitter? Build it ourself?

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
      Fellow foxhunters,

      Before you put away your Decemberr 2011 QST, maybe you want to check out the article described below.

      It could probably be driven by a K8EL keyer running in beacon mode. ($17 in kit form)

      Are we ready for a 80 meter foxhunt yet?

      I think I will copy and save this article.

      Mike, W8DER

      Mike@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:17:13 -0500
      From: Charles Scharlau <charles.scharlau@...>
      Subject: [FoxHunt] 80m Foxhunt Tx
      To: foxhunt@...

      December 2011 QST Magazine, pp. 38-40, has an article titled "A 2W Logic
      Chip Transmitter".

      It looks like it might be an excellent baseline for an ARDF transmitter
      designed for 80m.

      The tuning capacitor C2, the inductor L1, the voltage regulator, and all
      the switches could be eliminated from the design. The Morse code key would
      be replaced by a PIC controller-based fox hunt controller. Antenna matching
      LC components, and of course Y1, C1 and C3 would need to be selected for
      80m operation.

      The design seems to avoid some of the pitfalls of the simple 80m
      transmitter designs I've seen used elsewhere. I'd be curious to hear from
      anyone who tries the Dec QST design, or who has tried something similar in
      the past.

      73,
      NZ0I

      ------------------------------
    • kc8pcj
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
        Mike:

        This is the keyer I am using in my fox box. However I have not tried the beacon mode. I built a 555IC timer circuit that trips one of the memory keys. I programmed a msg that was 1 min long and the K8el keyer set to FM mode. It works great in my box using my HT. However had an issue with RF when I tried to use in in my mobile and have not had time to correct the problem yet.

        The timer circuit I built has dip switches in it, to be able to change the off timing from 1 to 10 min.

        Before you put away your Decemberr 2011 QST, maybe you want to check out the article described below.

        It could probably be driven by a K8EL keyer running in beacon mode. ($17 in kit form)

        Are we ready for a 80 meter foxhunt yet?

        I think I will copy and save this article.

        Mike, W8DER

        mailto:Mike%40w8der.net

        Message: 1

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
          Whoa! I'm going to need a bigger truck to haul around that handheld beam.

          Gerry ~ K8GGL

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
            It may be time to discover the hand-held loop Gerry.  It rotates much easier at 55 mph.  :-)

            Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
              I myself would love to learn about the 80 meter hunts. But I've looked
              all over for any decent 80 meter receiver kits. Seem hard to find. The
              IARU type competition is very different from what we are used to. It
              would be fun to try.

              tom bosscher k8tb
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                Agreed. We could start off using multiple 2 meter fox boxes, mixed
                with our mini-fox transmitters, and start in a modest sized park. Maybe
                set out 3 or 4 transmitters to start with, and maybe figure out a way to
                make it accessible and workable for everyone, like first to find all
                four, rather than see how many you can find in X minutes, or something
                like that, so that we could be more deliberate than hurried.

                =============== James - K8JHR ====================================

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                  I would propose a 2 meter hunt in the style of the 80 meter hunts to
                  start off. We could locate 2 fox boxes and 2 mini fox transmitters and
                  adjust the format to slow down the race, and emphasize the chances of
                  finding the foxes. Perhaps set it up so the winner is the first to find
                  all four, rather than see how many one can find in X minutes, trying to
                  emphasize accuracy, and deliberation, as opposed to a race against time.

                  I have not fully thought this out, but this is the drift we might take.

                  ============= James - K8JHR ====================================

                  On 12/10/2011 7:30 PM, K8TB wrote:
                  > I myself would love to learn about the 80 meter hunts. But I've looked
                  > all over for any decent 80 meter receiver kits. Seem hard to find. The
                  > IARU type competition is very different from what we are used to. It
                  > would be fun to try.
                  >
                  > tom bosscher k8tb

                  ..

                  .
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                    Sorry for the double posting... I thought I accidentally deleted my
                    first post... but, apparently, not. I wondered where it went ...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2011
                      That's a good idea James.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  We have a fun summer coming!

                      Mike@...