Fwd: Re: [MichiganFoxHunter] Re: What to do with the MicroFox...

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2011

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:Re: [MichiganFoxHunter] Re: What to do with the MicroFox...
      Date:Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:24:38 -0400
      From:Michel <michel@...>
      To:MichiganFoxHunter@yahoogroups.com

      That's a good idea Laryn.  In last Saturday's FoxHunt Field Day, we had the hunters find the regular foxbox, but then they had to find the microfox units.  The micros were hidden in a park which was about 1/4 mile away, but not obvious how to get into the park.  The third fox, which was Ole Tom's micro, was set to 145.530 mhz, like the foxbox.  It did present a challenge, even though it played a somewhat different digital ditty.

      Each hunter was given a card with the frequencies and search order at the start.

      The biggest problem we came across was that the third fox (Tom's Micro) was set to three or four minutes off and one minute on.  That really slowed things down at a time when hunters were starting to get hot and tired. It looks like 30 seconds on and 10 seconds off works better for hunts on foot.

      One micro was along a trail in a woods just inside a large open tree stump.  The second micro was standing on the ground in fairly tall grass behind two fenced softball fields.  One hunter stood right next to the fox in the grass and didn't know what to think when he couldn't get a bearing.  (It is tough to get a bearing straight down.)  We now call this scientific condition "Ole Tom's phenomenon".

      We had gotten together for what we called a "field day" to share information, check antenna accuracy, etc.  But after the 3-hour pre-hunt, we just needed to get home and rest.

      It was a good test for this type of hunting.  We will surely see them in a real hunt.

      By the way, in getting ready for the outing, I found the problem with my sniffer that slowed me down for the last three hunts.  I am back in the hunt again!

      Mike@...

      On 10/10/2011 11:49 PM, larynl2 wrote:

      Put it some distance away from the <primary> fox and for extra credit go find it also. Put it on a different frequency, or more fun yet--on the same frequency. And allow it to transmit at the same time as the other fox, or not.

      Laryn K8TVZ

    • larynl2
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2011
        Awwww I missed a hunt?? Didn't know about it...

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
          Guess I did too... I thought it was only going to be Mikey and Chuck
          and maybe Jim practicing for an hour.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
            Gee... I wonder how I missed all the news about a Fox Hunt Field Day.

            Not that anyone was sorry to miss me, but I am sorry I missed it.