Monroe County Fox Hunt

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2011
      Yesterday, Sheila and I drove to Monroe County to participate in their
      Fox Hunt.

      Here are some notes I sent to Dale, WA8EFK:

      It goes like this:

      The clock was ticking. It was Friday night, and Saturday loomed.
      The front and back yards needed mowing, and my side of the garage had
      way too much stuff in it, and it had to be cleaned. What to do?

      Diversion. I mentioned to Sheila, K8AJ and my wife, "Hey, remember
      last year when we drove to Monroe and participated in that Fox Hunt?
      Well, they have another one scheduled tomorrow". She looked at me and
      said that the drive and the Fox Hunt sounded like a great deal. She
      bought the diversion.

      So I set the alarm clock for 4:15 AM, Saturday morning. What was I
      thinking? We were on the road at 5:30 am, climbing into a gas guzzling
      Trail Blazer. Hey, it's only gas money.

      8:30 am found us at the Monroe County Red Cross. At first no one
      else was there. But then, the hunters. They started showing up. One by
      one. Hmmm. Competition. I the guise of acting friendly, I went up to the
      other cars and introduced myself. But I was on a recon mission. Whew,
      hey, we have some good equipment there. And two cars are using the
      Google Hunt mapping program. Hey, this isn't going to be easy.

      At 9 am, the games stopped and the work began. An unfamiliar town
      awaited Team Hudsonville. The signal was weak. Using the Icom HT, even
      at the peak, the signal was not strong. But from the start, there was a
      definite reading, with no multipath. This would not stay this way.
      Moving about a half a mile at a time, we scooted forward about 3
      miles, and found ourselves in a commercial/residential area. Then the
      signal turned bad. More multipath than signal. Around the corner, one
      major reason stood out. Trains, and lots of them. Walking down past the
      trains, we finally acquired a multipath free signal.
      This moved us west. No, wait, these streets are not east-west,
      north-south, they are more like 220 degrees than 270! I made a few math
      mistakes in adding up bearings with headings. This now pushed us to a
      major intersection. Stopping at a KFC parking lot, we had a nice signal
      straight down the road. But why are the cars driving by slowing down
      when I point the 3 element beam at them? Hmmm.
      We went down the road only 2000 feet at a time. Suddenly, we were
      in an older strip mall parking lot. The signal was much stronger, but
      wow, multi-multi path. The reading also pointed to the 4 tower AM
      directional array a few thousand feet away. Could it be? But yet, years
      of Fox Hunting made me stop and smell the RF. Driving down to the end of
      the strip mall turned out advantageous. I had a reading pointing
      straight to the back end of the mall. We also spotted two people milling
      about. Ah ha! Smiling, I drove down to them. Alas, just two innocent
      people taking a break outside. I was getting ready to take a reading
      from there. when I decided to pull to the back corner of the lot. As I
      pulled up, I looked to my right, and here, tucked behind a commercial
      truck, was the Fox. Smiling. Running one silly watt. Into a quarter
      wave. Kinda directionalized away from the starting point. With the RF
      slamming into the mall, just for the fun of it.
      The fox invited us to go around to "Benny's in the mall. A great ma
      and pa restaurant. Any restaurant that serves breakfast all day has to
      be a good restaurant. The other hunters joined us, and then it began.
      What I refer to as the "EF" of Fox Hunting, and that is, the
      Embellishment Factor. Would it be 0, 3, 6 or 9 Db? The stories were
      great. The hospitality of this group was even better.

      Sheila and I would like to thank the MCRCA group for a great Fox
      Hunt, some really serious competition and a wonderful time.

      Now, when are they going to drive to the Grand Rapids area?

      Sheila and Tom Bosscher, K8AJ and K8TB

      p.s., the garage is still a mess...
    • larynl2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2011
        Rats...methinks I missed a good one!

        Laryn K8TVZ

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2011
          On 7/24/2011 17:46, K8TB wrote:
          She looked at me and
          > said that the drive and the Fox Hunt sounded like a great deal. She
          > bought the diversion.

          YOU MEAN SHE DID NOT WANT TO MOW THE LAWN ...

          Could it be? But yet, years of Fox Hunting made me stop and smell the RF.

          Are you sure that was the RF you were smelling ?

          I looked to my right, and here, tucked behind a commercial
          > truck, was the Fox. Smiling. Running one silly watt.

          I take it you were the winner.... yes?