BCARC Fox Hunt in Coldwater May 17, 2011

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2011
      The first hunt of the year For the BCARC is in the books, and it was a great time. The Fox did an excellent job, hiding the Fox Box in Waterworks Park on the far side of the river nestled under a pine tree near the chain ling fence that separates the park from the fairgrounds on the south side of Coldwater. The fence and nearby buildings combined to create a lot of reflections which made the end game more difficult.

      This was a competitive hunt with a time limit of 1.5 hours. Tags numbered 1, 2, and 3 were on the Fox Box and the the first arrival takes #1, the second #2, etc.

      Participating were 10 hunters, the Huntmaster, and the Fox. Two teams could not locate the Fox Box within the time limit, so they limped back to the starting point with their heads hanging low and their tails between their legs.

      Coming in 1st was Tom Bosscher, K8TB from GR, 2nd went to the team of Chuck Smith KC9QCF, and Charles Parsons, KC9QDO, both from Fremont, IN. 3rd was Jan Hayden, KD8CYW from Branch County.

      The picture of the Yagi mounted on the rotator in the bed of a pickup truck belongs to Chuck, KC9QCF. This is a beautiful, well engineered installation. We hope to get some detailed pictures for publication here for all to see.

      It is interesting to note that we had participants from Kent, Calhoun and Branch Counties in Michigan and from Steuben County Indiana.

      We barely beat the rain, but in spite of the chilly temps, a great time was had by all. Prizes were awarded for the first 3 finishers: 1st place: $20; 2nd place $10; and 3rd place $5. It was interesting to note that all winners donated the prize money back to the club. Thank you for your generosity, fellows!

      We are stoked and ready to go again!

      Larry, WB8R