Fox Hunt Rules Question

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hey... Any further on my question about the Fox Hunt Rules ? I asked
      about changing the rule that says we determine a winner based on trip
      odometer measurement ?

      The current rules states:

      The winner of basic level foxhunt is the team who finds
      the fox within the specified hunt time and who has
      traveled the shortest distance as determined by their
      automobile odometer and trip meter.

      Hmmm.... shortest distance FROM WHERE - to - WHERE ? To measure
      distance, we need TWO POINTS... and they should be the same two points
      for everyone, if we want it to be fair. Common... where are you
      Democrats who yearn for... nay... who pray for... nay... who DEMAND we
      always provide an EVEN PLAYING FIELD for ALL contestants ?

      It is ....well.. Un-American ! ( At this point, please imagine Kate
      Smith
      singing "America the Beautiful" with
      full orchestra...)

      We should specify a both common starting point and a common ending point
      for everyone. If we use trip odometer measurements, we should be
      measuring from the same start to the same finish point. Walking or
      running the last X miles of the hunt to minimize odometer readings
      should be avoided, lest we turn it into a foot race. Or... is that
      what we want ?

      We should ALSO amend the rules to specify a "team" must arrive together.
      Or we should count the "team" as arriving when just the first, or the
      last, member of the team arrives. This becomes moot, if we require
      them to arrive in the car, together, at a singular specified finish
      point, and measure the odometer reading to that point.

      Under the current rules, one team member could use a car to get close to
      the fox, and his partner could rides a bike, or walk, all or part of the
      route (assuming he can do it in the allotted time) and arrive with NO
      mileage on HIS trip odometer, or at least with no more than what the
      other guy put on the car before the foot race began.

      I think we can do much better at defining how the winner is determined.
      And it matters how we do this.

      I recall a hunt where the purported "winner" arrived in another team's
      car, because they had left their truck 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the finish
      line, and were walking to the finish line. They would not have arrived
      before the close of the hunt without that assistance. Another team
      with slightly more mileage had arrived sooner, and their car was at the
      finish line. Is this really how we want to determine the winner ?

      Any traction ? I think we should fix this before we get started on
      this Year's Hunt Season .

      Happy Trails.