Hidden Transmitter

  • bob_kd8hnf
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2011
      Mike (W8DER),
      How long will the batteries last in your transmitter?
      I am thinking about hiding the transmitter for a week. Then remotely turning it on after a week of snow fall to help cover my tracks.
      What do you think.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
        Bob,

        I don't think you would have any trouble, except for Murphy's Law.  I use two cells, both 7.0 amp/hours at 12 volts.  You could punch it up a couple of hours before the hunt and check it to be sure everything was cool.  Just be sure you practice using the remote commands.  I often forget and than panic if I don't have them written down.

        The guys at ctfoxhunter.com hide the unit for two weeks while hunters look for the unit in their spare time and to/from work, etc.  Hunters send a tone command to activate the fox transmitter for a minute at a time.  The rest of the time, the receiver just waits.

        During the summer, I leave the unit on my outside deck in the same mode for local hams to practice on.  I only charge it from time to time when I think of it.

        Do you have a unit going yet?

        Mike